"No Sats" status on Oled

Hi Everybody, im having a issue with my Tbeam running 0.9.1 meshtastic firmware, the GPS status shown “No Sats”, bring the Tbeam outside for more than 3 hours still “No Sats”. is there anybody could help me. Im very noob regards on this. Thank You

devices i use

• GPS NEO-M8N of LILYGO® TTGO T-Beam V1.1 ESP32 LORA 923MHZ WiFi Wireless Bluetooth Module IPEX 18650 Battery Holder with oled display.

• Firmware meshtastic 0.9.1

Any Help Will be much appreciated.

Thank You Very Much.

Welcome @Mukhaniz! Please, make sure you have the right firmware for your board.

1 Like

I am pretty sure that you have installed the wrong firmware for your TTGO.
later I send you the link of the version you need to use.
Edit: 923Mhz

Ive try all firmware version that are included in the folder with … but no avail… the one that @TitanTronics highlight is the one that are seem like suitable with my board, but GPS stated “No Sats”. will wait for your firmware.

You can post a photo here so I take a look at the model, because I have the same TTGO and it works perfectly. Maybe something is wrong with the antenna or maybe it is not well connected, try to detach the GPS antenna and put the antenna back. If nothing works, try version 7.11 of the firmware, let me know.

Edit: There is a tiny button cell battery next to the GPS module
Try to measure the battery voltage of the gps with the multimeter.
If the battery is lower than 1.5v your GPS will have a bad battery. if the battery has 2.6v or 2.8v it is ok. The battery is rechargeable, it recharges when you turn on the TTGO, it takes a minute to reach its final voltage of 2.8 ~ 3V keep this in mind.

1 Like

I have exactly the same problem : No GPS on T-Beam V1.1

It is possible either the antenna is defective (they aren’t great on the best of days) or there is a config issue within the GPS. @CommsNetworkingGuy had some luck with a factory reset and could maybe elaborate.

You could try load my GPS pass through sketch in Arduino IDE and then access the GPS with the UBlox UCentre program. This may tell you more about what is going on. However UCentre can take a bit to get your head around.

You also need to install the ESP32 in Boards Manager within the Arduino IDE.

Hai, Ive try load your sketch but arduino return this error code

sketch:

#include <axp20x.h>

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial1.begin(9600, SERIAL_8N1, 34, 12, false, 1000); //TBeam GPS defaults
Wire.begin(21, 22);

axp.begin(Wire, AXP192_SLAVE_ADDRESS); //initialise the AXP192

axp.setChgLEDMode (AXP20X_LED_OFF);
// Enable power on the TBeam.
axp.setPowerOutPut(AXP192_LDO2, AXP202_ON);
axp.setPowerOutPut(AXP192_LDO3, AXP202_ON);
axp.setPowerOutPut(AXP192_DCDC2, AXP202_ON);
axp.setPowerOutPut(AXP192_EXTEN, AXP202_ON);
axp.setPowerOutPut(AXP192_DCDC1, AXP202_ON);
}

void loop() {
if (Serial.available()) { // If anything comes in from the PC,
axp.setChgLEDMode (AXP20X_LED_LOW_LEVEL);
Serial1.write(Serial.read()); // read it and send it out to the GPS.
}

if (Serial1.available()) { // If anything comes in from the GPS,
Serial.write(Serial1.read()); // read it and send it out to the PC.
}
}

Error Code:

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows 10), Board: “T-Beam, Disabled, 80MHz, 921600, None”

sketch_aug05a:2:20: fatal error: axp20x.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
axp20x.h: No such file or directory

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

am i doing it right?

Thank You

Looks like you need to download the AXP202X library file I linked, unzip it, and put the folder in your C:\Users\Yourusername\Documents\Arduino\libraries folder.

My M8N t-beams are enroute,

1. I compiled the sketch you list w/libraries, everything looked good (check mark)

2. I have u-center_v20.06.01 for windows installed but need a few pointers on how to
    do the “factory reset” and the parameters needed for meshtastic firmware support.

With any luck you won’t need to do anything other than load up Meshtastic. My TBeams with the M8N were fine but it does seem a bit of a lottery.

I haven’t done a factory reset but if I was to try I would go to “View”, “Configuration View”, then…

Hai Sir,

Already paste the folder, but there is a new error. Could you take a look at it, is there anything im missing?

Error Code:

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows 10), Board: “T-Beam, Disabled, 80MHz, 921600, None”

C:\Users\PC\Desktop\Arduino Project\sketch_aug05a\sketch_aug05a.ino: In function ‘void setup()’:

sketch_aug05a:8:3: error: ‘axp’ was not declared in this scope

axp.begin(Wire, AXP192_SLAVE_ADDRESS); //initialise the AXP192

^

C:\Users\PC\Desktop\Arduino Project\sketch_aug05a\sketch_aug05a.ino: In function ‘void loop()’:

sketch_aug05a:21:5: error: ‘axp’ was not declared in this scope

^

sketch_aug05a:27:5: error: ‘axp’ was not declared in this scope

^

exit status 1
‘axp’ was not declared in this scope

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

keep getting ‘axp’ was not declared in this scope.

@ac8dg any steps you did that you can actually compiled the sketch?

Thank You

Hi,

Ive tried the 7.11 firmware, unstable for my board the screen keeps on dimming and brighter. for the battery, i have three T-beam board 1 of them heve zero voltage, most probably needs to change. but the other 2 have 2.7v but the GPS still same “No sats”.

attached is my board

Thank You Very Much

Make sure you are using the firmware-tbeam file not the firmware-tbeam0.7 file. Easy to select the wrong one.

In regards to the library install, I’m not sure what else to try. Perhaps search for info on installing Arduino libraries.

One question, after flashing the firmware 9.1 that I marked with yellow, the red light of the gps module flashes on of when you go out?
Above the firmware that I marked with yellow is the European firmware, try to flash it (865Mhz) and see if something changes.
Practically the gps led must flash with or without the firmware installed in the TTGO, if it doesn’t when you are outdoors, your TTGO has a faulty module or a fake module.
If it doesn’t go with the instructions I wrote to you, try swapping the antennas between the modules and see if the gps led flashes

Edit:
I did some research online, the 923Mhz module is Japanese, use a JP 0.9.1.bin firmware and let me know.
In America the 923 Mhz module does not go well but the 915 Mhz must be used. next time you buy a TTGO module and if you are in North America, buy the 915Mhz module

Hai Everybody.

My GPS works now

These are the steps i take:

1. Ive flash @dafeman sketch, at first i cannot got it to work on Arduino IDE. i keep getting “axp not declared”, the solution fairly simple just restart the arduino and open back the sketch and everything works just fine, i can upload.

2. I factory reset my board using u-center, most probably ive got a recycled board or what im not sure because thats what the other thread are saying.

3. Then, i bring my board and my laptop outside to observe the GPS connection and walla 15 minutes in my GPS LED blinking and ive got lock on a location.

4. Reflash the meshtastic firmware, im in malaysia so i have to use JP. The GPS is there.

but now ive a different problem.

1. Whenever i press reset button, the GPS is missing and takes a long time to reconnect. is this normal?

2. Whenever i put 2 board together, only 1 get lock on GPS the other dont. anybody encounter this?

By the way, thank you very much to everybody for helping getting my GPS to wake up.

but now a new problem and hoping any of you guys have a fix.

Thank You

1 Like

I received my two m8n tbeams. I loaded in meshtastic us 0.9.1 with these results:

1. First board loaded and gps got an outdoor fix within about 30 seconds. Great !

2. Second board… not so good. no sats after 20 minutes outdoors
    a. Loaded the serial port software using arduino ide
    b. Connected at 9600, U Center selected m8n and it connects at 9600
    -performed factory reset , the docking views>Satellite levels briefly showed G17, all dashes in history, here is serial port output
    $GNRMC,160321.00,V,100820,N6F
    $GNVTG,N
    2E
    $GNGGA,160321.00,0,00,99.99,7F
    $GNGSA,A,1,99.99,99.99,99.99
    2E
    $GNGSA,A,1,99.99,99.99,99.992E
    $GPGSV,1,1,00
    $GLGSV,1,1,01,1164
    $GNGLL,160321.00,V,N
    $GNTXT,01,01,01,More than 100 frame errors, UART RX was disabled70
    $GNRMC,160322.00,V,100820,N
    6C
    $GNVTG,N2E
    $GNGGA,160322.00,0,00,99.99,7C
    2E
    2E
    $GPGSV,1,1,0079
    $GLGSV,1,1,01,12
    $GNGLL,160322.00,V,N50
    $GNTXT,01,01,01,More than 100 frame errors, UART RX was disabled
    c. Flashed meshtastic back onto the tbeam… after 20minutes … no sats

Other info on board #2 , the red led next to the gps chip slowly turns on for a second then off for a few seconds… no sats

Edit : now looking for firmware or legacy firmware for U Center and m8n

1 Like

hmm. I don’t have boards that show this behavior. If you are comfortable with building the code yourself could you try changing the “false” on this line to “true” and see if it fixes your bad board?

If it does then we can see about adding some sort of “if we still haven’t reached our GPS after a few tries, then factory reset it” - but I don’t want to do this unless someone can confirm it fixed things for them.

I can’t change / compile the package for meshtastic
my github download into PIO-VisualStudioCode does have not /blob/post1 directories

removed most of previous posting
Edit: tried three more flashing serial port firmware, then various meshtastic version,
then just left it running outside for about 2 hours… and it “found” satellites finally.