"No Sats" status on Oled

News for those who have problems with the gps module.
I received a new TTGO from banggood, unfortunately without the included display and with gps not working.
I did a bit of research among the TTGO V1.1 wiring diagrams and I discovered that to reset the gps module you have to remove the TTGO battery and short-circuit the micro button battery of the gps module for a fraction of a second, and reflash dhe firmware
My TTGO started working right after doing this.
For you who have problems with the gps that does not flash the red signal light do what I have described above, your gps will return to work immediately without doing anything else

As always, the best solutions from TitanTronics :fire::smile:

5 Likes

Hai, I know this are very noob question, but would you kindly elaborate more on how to short circuit the button battery.

im not very good at electronics, very sorry

Thank You

1 Like

Short circuit as a word explains everything
What can be better than the word itself! :smile:
However I leave the photo below marked with red where you need to touch the two battery terminals together for a fraction of a second.

Edit: Oh sorry I almost forgot the most important thing :sweat_smile:
Use multimeter test point to create short circuit or something metallic

As always, the best solutions from TitanTronics :fire::smile:

4 Likes

I currently am having the same issue with “No sats” and my terminal is showing GPS fix type 0. I have done all the steps to try to reset the GPS with same results. I have also upgrade the GPS antenna in hope that would work.

Link to the board that I am using GPS NEO-M8N of LILYGO® TTGO T-Beam V1.1 ESP32 LORA 915 MHZ

Link to GPS antenna 32db High Gain Cirocomm 5cm Active GPS Antenna Ceramic Antenna 25x25x2mm

Link to python Info and my Terminal output.

what firmware did you upload to ttgo? can you leave the file name here?

firmware-tbeam-US-0.9.1.bin

I also built my own and edited to use the SH1106 controller for the larger screen. Same results for the GPS.

I see on your line 41 says ‘Connected to UBLOX GPS successfully’
this is good.

My initial setup took over an hour outside for the gps to get its first fix,
then it was just seconds the next couple of re-starts.

The problem is not with the TTGO but with the gps module, your T-beam has the (GPS NEO-M8N) which I don’t think is compatible with that firmware. I think your T-Beam is a new model because the old versions I have, have the module (Neo-6M-001) it is better to report it to @geeksville

Thank you for the clarification. I will wait for the M8N to be supported.

M8N is supported and works fine on my TBeam. How long have you left it outside? Try a few hours to begin with. The new antenna will help. Does the red LED flash at all? It should flash once per second with a GPS lock.

I have left it outside for 24 hrs now and the red light blinks about every 30s to a min.

Info show the following. Not sure if it means anything

GPS fix type 0
Ignoring invalid GPS month=0, year=39178, unixtime=-1
New GPS pos lat=0.000000, lon=0.000000, alt=0, pdop=2.550000, heading=10735.329360, sats=154

I have a t-beam (T22_V1.0) with the NEO-6M gps which does not get a fix. It has been sitting in the window for days and the red led will not go on. I have the environment set up to do builds and I did a test.
I set factoryReset to false as @geeksville suggested and in just a few minutes i got the red led and in the log I see
new NEMA GPS pos lat=59.447946, lon=13.429126, alt=48, hdop=3.740000, heading=0.000000
New GPS pos lat=59.447946, lon=13.429126, alt=48, pdop=3.740000, heading=0.000000, sats=4

I have done some debugging and without the factoryReset it do get a ublox connection but it never gets any good values from it. It seems that the nema style works much better.

Hmm. It sounds like there are some GPSes that are out there shipped with wonky settings (thus the need for factory reset or short circuiting the backup battery).

In this week’s release I’ll add the following which should help (though none of my boards are showing this problem). Based on the comments above I bet this will fix any device with a non working GPS.

1 Like

an alpha-test version of code that might fix this is up. If someone who has a problem of the ublox not working for them could try this build and report back that would be great (you’ll need to leave it outside 15 mins after running this build - because it will (one time) factory wipe the Ublox GPS settings and you’ll lose the satellite almanac) .

If it still isn’t working if you could collect a serial log after pressing the reset button and waiting a few minutes for some data to build up that would be useful.

How do you reset the board ?

On the t-beam you press the right button to reset the board.

1 Like

0.9.3 fixed this problem for the three new boards I got today.

Thanks Mate!

1 Like