Newbie questions: GPS, serial and short name for the device

Hi there,

I just got my two T-Bean’s and flashed the 1.2.30 firmware.
I have three questions, I hope someone can help me:

1 - How does I configure the short name of the devices?
2 - I got no GPS lock. It displays “No sats”, despite me being outside. Could it be broken?
3 - I get only garbage on serial. I tried different speeds - 921600, 115200, etc., but the only legible text is the initial ESP32 info at boot.

Otherwise it works fine, I manage to send messages between the nodes - I am using the meshtastic-python for now, as I only have iOS devices and Macs.

Best,

Francis

I’ll take a stab at answering your questions.

1 - How does I configure the short name of the devices?

When you set the name in the mobile app or using the –set-owner command, a shortname is generated using the first character of the first three words of that long name. It appears you cannot set it separately.
Example: Unit Number 3 would be also known as UN3

2 - I got no GPS lock. It displays “No sats”, despite me being outside. Could it be broken?
I have found that if I extend the time the device is prepared to wait for a GPS fix before giving up, helps.

So, try the following command to make the unit wait upto 10 mins for a fix.
meshtastic --set gps_attempt_time 600

3 - I get only garbage on serial. I tried different speeds - 921600, 115200, etc., but the only legible text is the initial ESP32 info at boot.

I’ve not done anything more with the serial interface than use esptool to re-flash/format it, but for me everything works at 921600.

2 Likes

As far as I know you can set it from the Meshtastic-web GUI.

1 Like

Thank you very much, @Avron!

1 Like