Multiple T-Beam v1.1 + RAK 4630 devices - better use 1.2 or 1.3 firmware

We are a group of enthusiasts around south of Munich and want to build up a network of LORA devices.

We have approx. 20 T-Beam v1.1 TTGO devices and 3-4 RAK 4630 devices as router (low power consumption, solar powered). We mainly use phones (Android and Apple) for the communication with through the devices and did the firmware updates with Meshtastic-Flasher.

In the last weeks we faced a number of problems, which might be because of the transition from 1.2 to 1.3 firmware and app-version.

Also we observed, that the mashtastic-flashed has problems with the T-Beams, but works for the RAK devices.

I would like to ask for a feedback, which configuration of the devices (all 1.3 FW/SW, or stay with the old FW/SW) would be best for us, to enable a stable communication. We are not interested in getting all new features as first user, but stability is important for us.

How would you setup such a system of 20+ devices? Any general recommendations?

Best, Christian

Unless you are using ATAK, 1.3 is better for everything and contains a ton of bug fixes

1.2 has about a month of non ATAK life left and you need to be all android.

Hi Garth,

thanks for your response. So we would need to upgrade all Firmware to 1.3, right? Is there also for the RAK 4630 devices a firmware 1.3 available? I assume, that also app version should be 1.3, right?

What would be your recommendations for the firmware update, since the meshtastic-flasher has problems?

Best, Christian

Nice to listen about this group. i’have a question. how your group make a remote firmeware upgrade to all router. we was found for us a solution, a route have a raspberry behind. so all router accesspoints have internet over a raspberry and the board is connected over usb. with a ssh script and execute, we made a upgrade to all Router and write new firmeware or set settings.
we use currently 23 ROUTER in our Area …

Sorry, we currently have trouble to perform a firmware update with one device cabled to a PC, so we might not be the kind of experts giving advice for your question. Nevertheless, would be great, if such a remote update would be possible. Maybe something for a new question/thread.

ah, ok no problem, if you like to get more infos, how we war solve the probelm. let me know …

Not sure what you mean by router are you using the is_router on 1.2 (that does no special routing, just manages power a bit differently) or the new router mode in 1.3 that is also not implemented yet?

yes, i’use 1.3.40. later i’was flash the firmeware, all work saveral minutes, then the device dont answer for example meshtastic --nodes in my console …

Hi Garth,

sorry, that was confusing. We use the RAK 4630 as a node not connected to a mobile phone, just hanging somewhere in the trees. We call it router internally, but I don’t use the is_router mode. The RAK 4630 are very efficient and can be powered by a small solar panel.

Best, Christian