MQTT test gateway running in the San Francisco bay area

Hi ya’ll,

So I finally got around to 3d printing a case suitable for externally mounting one of my TBEAMs with a nice moxon antenna. It should have pretty good coverage from the hills in San Mateo looking ENE. I’ll mount it outside Wednesday. It will bridge any packets sent on the default LongSlow (public) channel to the mqtt server.

This gateway is abdddf38.

Connected to radio
Owner: sfbay-gate (sfb)
╒═════╤════════════╤═══════╤═══════════╤════════════╤═════════════╤════════════╤═══════════╤═══════╤═════════════════════╤══════════════╕
│   N │ User       │ AKA   │ ID        │ Latitude   │ Longitude   │ Altitude   │ Battery   │ SNR   │ LastHeard           │ Since        │
╞═════╪════════════╪═══════╪═══════════╪════════════╪═════════════╪════════════╪═══════════╪═══════╪═════════════════════╪══════════════╡
│   1 │ sfbay-gate │ sfb   │ !abdddf38 │ 37.5200°   │ -122.3080°  │ 170 m      │ 100.00%   │ N/A   │ 2021-08-02 11:56:45 │ 1 minute ago │
╘═════╧════════════╧═══════╧═══════════╧════════════╧═════════════╧════════════╧═══════════╧═══════╧═════════════════════╧══════════════╛

5 Likes

oh cool - someone out there has two devices out there talking to it (and I haven’t even mounted it outside yet)

│   3 │ Unknown a2c5 │ ?C5   │ !c44f336aa2c5 │ N/A        │ N/A         │ 148 m      │ 100.00%   │ -21.25 dB │ 2021-08-03 06:15:33 │ 1 hour ago    │
├─────┼──────────────┼───────┼───────────────┼────────────┼─────────────┼────────────┼───────────┼───────────┼─────────────────────┼───────────────┤
│   4 │ Unknown 79c4 │ ?C4   │ !246f289e79c4 │ N/A        │ N/A         │ N/A        │ N/A       │ -20.50 dB │ 2021-08-03 03:01:42 │ 4 hours ago   │
3 Likes

Now it needs to be mounted on servo pan platform for easy changing of direction of antenna.

Kinda amusing, if I would be able to reach your node, we’d almost have the old Lockheed vector for their radar alignment station… (fixed target was in the Fremont hills, they’d shoot from a facility next to CalTrain) I’m about due east from you where you see “NILES” written on the hills (Google Maps). Now I have to see if I have a Yagi in 915…

1 Like

1 Like

Update - running this test allowed me to find a bug with MQTT and wifi reconnection. Temporarily I have the node down until I can fix the bug (next weekish?)

1 Like

Is anyone interested in using this to talk to Matrix? https://gitlab.eiselecloud.de/matrix/tuple

1 Like

wow! That looks potentially really awesome. I think that personally I’ll focus on getting the MQTT gateway finished/solid and then basic matrix gateway (admittedly with weak encryption guarantees). I think what you point to might be a great way to provide matrix support with strong guarantees. Hopefully someone will step up and add it (once some of the more basic plumbing is in over the next couple of months),

1 Like

(back installed and seems solid now)

and alas since I’ve been away the last couple of months I had this public gateway sitting in my living room (rather than nicely externally mounted). When I got back to helping out on meshtastic a couple of days ago I noticed an amazing thing: Someone out there in the peninsula (I forgot to look for lat/lng) has a node that was sending this:

1 Like

@geeksville Dude! Those nodes are mine! I’m in San Francisco. They are on the north side of my house. 5 walls between the radio and the exterior of the home and there’s a hill between us. They’ve been sitting on the top of my lab bench for the last few months.

The sequence numbers “seq xxx” are from the range test plugin which I was using to create test data for the Store and Forward plugin. I’ve since switched it to a different channel so it won’t flood the public network.

Your screen shot shows just how reliable the connection is between our locations. Check it out on a map (endpoints have been relocated for privacy):

3 Likes