Meshtastic Firmware 1.2.x and TTGO T-Echo problems

Using two TTGO T-Echo devices I observed these issues using the 1.2.x firmware:

Reset button does not work

Reset button works only, if USB is connected to the device. I validated this with 1.2.42/1.2.45/1.2.50. The file firmware-t-echo-1.2.42.2759c8d.uf2 downloaded from Release 1.2.42 alpha · meshtastic/Meshtastic-device · GitHub also shows this problem. The Reset button works with disconnected USB, if I install the file T-Echo_Meshtastic.uf2 downloaded from LilyGO-T-Echo/examples/Meshtastic_firmware at main · Xinyuan-LilyGO/LilyGO-T-Echo · GitHub. The device reports here this version: “t-echo 1.4.2 753ae00-d”. May be the reset button problem is caused by some nasty side effects?

Critical Fault #8

One out of two devices reports this error when I send text:
“Critical Fault #8”. On another tab on the device shows a “Critical error 81”. Can you provide some hints about this?

Text is “never” transmitted to the other device

Sending device shows text to send on the display, but the other device never receives the text. The cloud icon shows the failure after some time. (only one time I saw a successful transmission using 1.2.50 and Meshtastic Android 1.2.52 alpha).

Is there a working combination of app and firmware that I could try?

T-Echo support is limited and if you search there are many known issues, unfortunately.

Critical fault #8 suggests hardware failure: Critical error codes | Meshtastic

I wanted to get T-Echos but the rampant problems have stopped me. I’m still waiting on a more mature firmware with all major bugs ironed out.

Did your devices ever work?

Unfortunately not. During my tests only one message was successfully transfered.

I’ve recently started the development efforts for the firmware of Meshtastic. If you have a spare T-Echo lying around, could you please send it to me? I’d love to take these bugs down quickly. Which version do you have? 433 mhz?

Cheers!

I have two 915 MHz devices that are barely useable for me. How could I send them to you?

I’ll check if 915 is legal in my region.

I’m sending you a private message as well.

The 2 T-Echos you sent me have proved to be duds so far.

One has a fried radio chip, the other one refuses to boot Meshtastic. I will try to repair the second one by using a J-Link. So far, I do not recommend anyone to buy a T-Echo.

@kokroo
PM me. I have a 915 t-echo that boots meshtastic that I can send you

I have PMed you, thank you!