Meshtastic Bluetooth pairing fails

I have two Samsung Android devices and two LilyGo Meshtastic devices.
First and primary Android is a Samsung Galaxy S9+ phone, Android 10. The other is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet, Android 9. Both have the latest updates and patches.
The LilyGo tbeams have been flashed with 9.6 firmware and appear to function properly : readable output on the OLEDs , output monitor via PlatformIO IDE in VScode on Windows Server 2016, the same setup on a ASUS Zenbook running Ubuntu 20.04 plus monitoring output via screen, and connected to a Raspberry PI 4 running Raspbian 10 with output via screen.

However, Bluetooth pairing using the Playstore mestastic app fails with a generic fail message on the S9+ and fails with an error message to turn location services on the Tab A (and the Tab A is kinda paleo). Both Androids have Bluetooth on and can see the tbeams. All the location services options are enabled and all the meshtastic app permissions are enabled.

This is extremely puzzling. I have only started to dig into the code on PlatfomIO and am not familiar enough with the architecture and flow to spot anything with the short scans so far.

It seems to me that I’m missing something really basic. Using my pins as well as the suggested pins doesn’t make any difference in the pairing response

Thoughts ??

1 Like

I would double check this, and make sure you have location permissions turned on for your phone/tablet (in android settings) and in android settings /apps/ meshtastic. I had this same problem once, and although location permission was turned on for the app, it was off in the main android settings.

1 Like

Maybe sign up as a Meshtastic Playstore Beta Tester, install latest android app and try again.

You didn’t mention the app version, so I came up with this.

1 Like

you might have missed my email, but that message on a samsung device means (the extra and non-standard) “settings / location / high-accuracy” option in android settings needs to be turned on.

Using my pins as well as the suggested pins doesn’t make any difference in the pairing response

I’m not sure what this means. The only pins to enter are the ones printed on the screen of the device.

but @mc-hamster was kind enough to let me grab logs off a samsung device he has that had problems .

I think the root cause is this (samsung did something non standard (again) with their rules on BLE scanning):

09-12 14:38:37.420  4471  4633 D ScanRecord: parseFromBytes
09-12 14:38:37.422  4471  4633 D ScanRecord: parseFromBytes
09-12 14:38:37.423  4471  4633 D ScanRecord: Not a Multi Manu data
09-12 14:38:37.423  4471  4633 D ScanRecord: parseFromBytes
09-12 14:38:37.424  4471  4633 D ScanRecord: parseFromBytes
09-12 14:38:37.427  4471   448 D BtGatt.ContextMap: sendClientScanResult for app id 8

I’ll change the filter in today’s alpha release and perhaps you can try that and report back?

yeah - samsung fucked up: https://stackoverflow.com/a/45590493

Adding manual filtering

ok 0.9.90 released to alpha/beta channels @mc-hamster and @maristhek would you mind trying it and see if it fixes the BLE scanning problem you saw?

I still see .81 on the play store.

Will try again later if it takes time to propagate.

Oh yeah can take a few hrs

High-accuracy is turned on.
Tried with 0000 and 1234. For yuks tried my login pin.

https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-device/releases has 0.9.7 and 1.0. Is there another release channel ?

0.9.90 is the new Alpha of the Android build.

https://www.meshtastic.org has instructions on how to join the Alpha channel.

Google is running slow today. 0.9.90 available on 1/3 of my test Android devices.

1 Like

Got the 9.9 update. Bummer no change : “Pairing failed, please select again.”

1 Like

Fixed the problem on my Samsung. I’ll close the bug I opened after giving this a whirl.

1 Like

Hmm puzzling. Would you mind capturing a short video of the whole flow? Clicking to pair, then showing the device screen then entering the pin and the message the phone gives?

Are those the numbers you are trying to use when pairing?
The number you should use is six digits and it is shown on th screen of the device.

1 Like

Thanks for messaging me the videos.

I think the most likely theory is that you are not keying in the Bluetooth paring code. In your video you key in 1234. The pairing code is a random six digit sequence to securely prove you own the other device. (This is standard for all BLE devices)

It is printed on the screen of the display with a message that says “key this into your phone”. Do you have a display installed? If not, we also print it to the serial port.

K. It was not obvious that that is the process - I am not a big user nor fan of BLE. Mistaken assumption on my part that the code was either 0000 or 1234 as shown on the Android device.

BTW the Galaxy Tab A still shows the message to enable location services but the pairing works. The Tab is Android 9.

The code did not show on the terminal monitor in VS Code PlatformIO on Windows SRV 2016.

Tnx.

1 Like