Bluetooth Pairing Problem v0.9.3 on Moto G5

I’ve got a TTGO TBeam running Meshtastic 0.9.3, just updated today, 2020/09/08, and I am connecting to it using a Motorola Moto G5, running the newest version of the app from the Play Store today. The board boots up fine, has found a GPS location, and I have the console open via PuTTY on my Windows 10 Laptop.

When I open the Meshtastic App, with Bluetooth on on the phone, the board shows up (happens regardless of whether or not I’ve already paired via Android once before). When I select the board, the pairing prompt comes up, per normal behavior. However, after entering the correct pin, the Android pairing prompt goes away like normal, but the app itself simply says “Pairing failed, please select again” and nothing else. I can do this repeatedly, with no apparent behavior changes.

I used the “report bug” feature in the app to submit a bug, in hopes that perhaps there are some behind-the-scenes logs that are made available via that. I will paste the serial output in a follow-up comment here.

I also have an old Android phone around here somewhere, I’m hoping to find it and see if I get the same behavior there. If I find it, I’ll post a follow up as well.

Here’s the relevant serial output (with GPS coordinates and MAC addresses removed):

Battery 3802mV 50%
Battery 3806mV 51%
GPS fix type 3
New GPS pos lat=xx.yyyyyy, lon=xx.xxxxxx, alt=xx, pdop=x.yyyyy, heading=xxx.yyy, sats=6
Update DB node 0xb21bb164, rx_time=1599598293
Node status update: 1 online, 1 total
connection established; status=0 handle=0 our_ota_addr_type=0 our_ota_addr=
our_id_addr_type=0 our_id_addr=
peer_ota_addr_type=0 peer_ota_addr=
peer_id_addr_type=0 peer_id_addr=
conn_itvl=39 conn_latency=0 supervision_timeout=500 encrypted=0 authenticated=0 bonded=0

PASSKEY_ACTION_EVENT started
*** Enter passkey 885686 on the peer side ***
Trigger powerFSM 7
Transition powerFSM transition=Bluetooth pairing, from=DARK to=ON
ble_sm_inject_io result: 0
connection updated; status=0 handle=0 our_ota_addr_type=0 our_ota_addr=
conn_itvl=6 conn_latency=0 supervision_timeout=500 encrypted=0 authenticated=0 bonded=0

Battery 3795mV 49%
encryption change event; status=1035 handle=0 our_ota_addr_type=0 our_ota_addr=
conn_itvl=6 conn_latency=0 supervision_timeout=500 encrypted=0 authenticated=0 bonded=0

disconnect; reason=531 handle=0 our_ota_addr_type=0 our_ota_addr=

Finally, I just pulled out my old Samsung Galaxy S7 and downloaded the Meshtastic App and it paired flawlessly. So it appears to be something related to the Moto G5.

Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help solve this issue.