Meshtastic 1.3.16 Alpha -- First Public Preview

Cirtical Fault #7 for me too, on Tbeam. Immediately after firmware update and power on.

I haven’t yet connected that Tbeam to a smartphone/ tablet.

My other Tbeam seems to be working fine with Android.

Did you use the install or upgrade script?

I used the upgrade script.

Please use the install script so the settings are cleared from the device

Using iOS I can’t connect to Tbeam 2 - the one which gave the Ciritical Fault 7 earlier, but seems to be operating normally now.

First of all the iOS app gave a red error saying it’s a special alpha version and will only connect to v1.3.16 firmware devices. My Tbeam is v1.3.16, but the app claimed it was still 1.2.56.

I power cycled the Tbeam and tried again and then iOS/ iPad didn’t find it at all.

I went into the iOS settings and pressed ‘forget device’ and tried again. Still nothing. (It does detect the Tbeam 1, the one I have connected to Android).

I rebooted the iPad and tried again. Same result.

You have a blend of 1.2 and 1.3 settings

Ah OK. So I should use the Install script then?

I’ll do that now.

OK - firmware upgraded using the install script. Now the iOS connects, but it says ‘FW: Version: Unknown, Bitrate: 0.00, Channel Utilization: 0.00, Air Time: 0.00’.

And the send button doesn’t work in the message tab. I type a message and press it and nothing happens.

Try deleting and re-installing the app

Deleting and reinstalling the iOS app is absolutely critical. I find you can tell the database is getting full whenever the typing becomes slow.

Edit:
@MeshMonkey is exactly right as well, defiantly need to forget the device in your bluetooth settings.

also consider a double press of the main button, wait for the double flash, then press again to reset the bluetooth cache.

Done. And it’s now looking good. Thanks for your help.

Just for information/ in case someone else ends up at the same place: initially after I reinstalled the app it connected on the Bluetooth screen (still the FW version, etc was blank, but on the nodes screen it said ‘No LoRa Mesh Nodes Found’. Screenshots attached.

Forgetting the device in the iOS settings Bluetooth screen solved that.

I will begin testing! Thanks again!

1 Like

Android + TBeam 2:
I reinstalled the Android app too. The channel was blank and wouldn’t allow me to change it.

I reinstalled the firmware on the Tbeam (using the Install script) and that solved that.

As soon as I try to send a message the Tbeam says ‘Critical Fault #7’ on screen though.

iOS + TBeam1:
This looks good right now. Except that it doesn’t appear to send a message. I type it, press send, everything appears correctly in the app, but nothing shows on the Tbeam’s screen.

The Mesh Log is blank.

One thing I did notice: on boot up, the TBeam says ‘Not set’ in the top left. Whereas on TBeam 2 I’ve set that to EU868. Is it possible to set the region/ frequency from within the iOS app?

Connecting TBeam 1 to Android, also results in Critical fault #7 when I try to send a message. So I guess it’s an Android app thing.

I set TBeam 1 to EU868 using the Android app. So it now says EU868 on the left on boot up. That hasn’t improved anything now it’s connected back to iOS though, so a Red Herring. (The iOS app appears to send a message, but it never appear on the TBeam’s screen and the mesh log remains empty).

I also got the Critical Fault #7 however with a slightly different experience. Initially the device runs well, then sending out the first message, which doesn’t go through and the sender device will go into the Critical Fault #7.

I used the ESPTOOL to install the firmware.

On a positive note (as seen with the Android 1.3.16 App) ; the Bluetooth functionality works much faster now. One small annoyance however, is that when setting the node name, it will be forgotten quickly thereafter. Could be when the device switches between duty and sleep mode?

recent firmware doesn’t sleep cycle anymore. app 1.3.16 had a few bugs in settings that I hope are now fixed. if interested, there is a new debug apk with the changes in the link below.

https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-Android/suites/6893353370/artifacts/267257804

For those with Critical Error 7 please try the firmware build patch radiolib on-the-fly while building. · meshtastic/Meshtastic-device@cb5c324 · GitHub for your device. the batch files are missing from the archives but you can use the same ones you have in a release zip. If the Error 7 is gone after that we have circled the problem.

I tested today with firmware-tbeam-1.3.16.97899ae.bin on some tbeam-1.1, flashing with the ESPTOOL and got Critical Error 7 on all of them when trying to send the first message.

Now tried with firmware-tbeam-1.3.16.cb5c324.bin - same thing happens. As soon as I enter the message tab, I get Critical Error 7. On second tries, I get the Critical Error 7 right after connecting the app - but the message goes through to the other device!

Pairing works well and it automaticaly joins #LongFast-I and shows me the barcode. It seems I can change the channel and I like the new UI of that.

Pixel 5 with (stock) Android 12, freshly installed meshtastic app 1.3.16 from the github repo.

If you are seeing the _ in the device name the database is probably corrupt, delete and re-install the app.

Closing this topic. We should all now be on 1.3.17.