Half-toasted TTGO T-Beam v1, remap?

Hey folks!

Yesterday in the mail I received 2 more boards (I now have 4, well…3.5 T-Beam boards). Like a dumbass, I decided to get fancy and instead of just soldering the screen in place, I put up a rail of female header sockets… Long story short, I now have removed those but still have solder/pin bits in several of them, and toasted the tx/rx of the USB connection reversing 3v3 and ground. Genius!

Trying to salvage what I can, so looking for advice. I think other than the flashing via USB it still works.

Is there another way to flash? Possibly by using other GPIO pins? USB charges fine but doesn’t like to let me flash so I’m wondering if I can ground the 0 like on an ESP-Cam board and remap the data?

Any ideas appreciated!

To answer my own question in case it might help someone.

I never figured out which pins might make good backups for flashing, but that’s because I found a workaround.

It looks like I toasted whatever automatically makes these boards support auto-flashing. After spending a couple hours stripping down the rail as best I could, I then jumpered 0 to GND and it manually kicked into flash mode. Not ideal to do every time, but I’ll just not use this as a dev board and just put production builds on it.

Good enough!

3 Likes