First Contact - From 38,000 Feet - Airborne over the UK

I’ve set up a new node with a 3.5db Antenna - In the loft space of my house in Windsor UK with a Heltec V3.

There are no contacts nearby.

This morning - I was delighted to see the Node listed populated with 14 nodes!!! - some possibly 90 Miles away, but most appeared to be 30-40 miles away

Here’s whats possibly happened

From the initial contact - As their ‘contact’ had their HAM call sign, I found them on twitter and they had posted this morning they were at an airport catching a flight (with flight details)

Looking at the flight path, and the time of first contact, that put them approx 30 miles (North East from Windsor) away - around the St Albans area in the UK. and at 38,000 feet away.

They must have connected with a dozen other Nodes, and that ‘bought’ those Nodes into my view and I could see nodes from Bracknell (based on the users HAM call sign) (15 miles South West of Windsor).

Most interesting was a node ‘possibly 90 Miles West of Windsor’ - No call sign, but based on the name and postcode’ in the Longname. - That would then be 120 miles west of the ‘38,000’ feet altitude node.
(But cannot believe that range would be possible?)

4 Likes

Yes, it is possible and a bunch of people in South London also think they heard messages from the user.

Being new, I wasn’t sure I interpreted the readings correctly.

Thanks for letting me know about the other users.

I’ve left the details out as I wasn’t sure the user wanted their User code known