External Buttons TBeam

Hi all. I’m currently trying to plan putting a T beam in a protective case and was trying to find out if it’s possible to add buttons so as to not rely on the small switches on the T beam. I saw on the main page that there is documentation about using IO12 for the T lora devices to change screen pages. I also came across a thread in this forum that mentioned using IO13 for the T Beam devices. Is there any further documentation available to add a power/reset button. Many thanks

You could solder wires to the switch pads and use those to run to external switches if you don’t want to mess with changing the IO pins.

Thanks for getting back to me. I definitely don’t fancy messing with the existing switches! My soldering skills are not be that good! I thought soldering wires + switches to the IO holes/GND would be an easier option. I was just wondering if there was any concrete documentation on which ones to solder or would it require compiling a custom firmware?

Yes, the need for external buttons is quite important.
I’m mounting a few of mine in PVC plumbing pipe, and others in clear polycarbonate ‘tackle boxes’.
The page at Modifying devices to add buttons | Meshtastic says that ‘Shorting IO12 to ground will progress the screen pages, wake up the device, etc.’ and maybe it will on the ’ TTGO Lora32 V2.1-1.6’ but I have a Geltec V2 here, and it doesn’t do so on that device. I’ll text on a TTGO rsn…

The Heltec specs https://resource.heltec.cn/download/WiFi_LoRa_32/WIFI_LoRa_32_V2.pdf list the ‘Program’ button as GPIO0, but grounding that doesn’t progress the pages either, so there’s something I’m missing here.

The T-Beam Program button is on IO38, but that doesn’t seem to emerge anywhere else.

If there is a GPIO that does emerge to an accessible connector across the devices, it would be a kindness to those of us looking to ‘battle harden’ them, if code could be added to the standard release that gave us a common point to connect our external button to.

2 Likes