TTGO Lora 1.3 support

Hello meshtastic users/devs, I have been reviewing the progress of this great project and I think it’s fantastic all that the community has achieved, well, my question is this module “ttgo lora32 v1.3” is compatible with the project?

It is a cheap module, allows a battery and is portable :slight_smile:

I checked the spreadsheet and I think it doesn’t match with any already supported board.

Here is the pinout of the board

Would it be possible to support that board? Thank you very much <3

1 Like

(alas no promises because I personally haven’t used this board but…) I just took a look at the schematic you linked. I think our existing “ttgo-lora32-v1” load should “just work” for that new 1.3 version. That said, it looks like they have added an extra button (which is a really useful feature which was missing from the old board). If you buy one of these boards and want us to add support for the extra button it would be easy (we’d add a new ttgo-lora32-v1.3 build). Just open a bug (preferably linking to this thread) and we can make the extra button do something.

1 Like

Hi geeksville i dont remember the email from the another acount… but :slight_smile:
I checked the datasheet and apparently one button is connected to reset and the other is connected to s_vp (gpio36).

I also think the gpio35 is connected to the battery to know its voltage, I think.

Sure! I will buy a couple but it will take some time to receive it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pin configuration for ttgo lora32 v1.3

Lora radio control signals
SCK 5
MISO 19
MOSI 27
SS 18
RST 14*
DI0 26
OLED Screen
I2C Address 0x3c
SDA 4
SCL 15
Other
Battery voltage 35
Button 36

*The pinmap says that the lora chip reset is connected to gpio23 but if you check the datasheet it is connected to gpio14.

Thanks for the screen shots. I just checked our configuration file. The button and the battery doesn’t line up with any of the existing boards. It’ll be easy to add support for this.

Could I ask you to open a feature request for this?

I’ll find time to make a custom firmware for you to try out.

2 Likes

Hi mc-hamster I don’t have a github account, please could you do that for me? Thanks for supporting this board :3

The board may arrive in several more months, so welcome to anyone who wants to try it out ^^

1 Like

Change is done but I’m holding it back in my private branch for a bit. It’s mixed in with other changes.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! <3

1 Like

Let me know when you have your boards. I’ll send you a private build to test out before I include it into the package for the released firmware bundles.

… it’s my first time adding a target board to this project and I’m just lightly nervous because I don’t have one of those to try out myself. Will need your feedback to confirm it works.

I do see that series of boards have a bug on our firmware for battery monitoring, so no guarantees that’ll work.

1 Like

Of course, I couldn’t buy them because of the new year, but when I get them I’ll let you know right away :3

1 Like

Hi, is this still pending? I might just have received that kind of board and I would be happy to test any custom config that might be needed :slight_smile:

I’m not sure about it, since I don’t know how to read those datasheets, but mine says “lilygo ttgo lora32 v1.3” on its product page.

Hi Arne, yes, @mc-hamster added provisional support for your board based on this thread. But I think you are the first person to actually have have one in their hands. So there could be problems.

Could you connect to the board with a serial terminal at at 921600 baud, then press the reset button? If you could post the first 100ish lines it prints we could probably see why the screen didn’t work.

Hey there!

I’ll post a binary for you to try later today. I have not added it into the regular builds until we had someone to try it out and give feedback.

1 Like

I received LORA32 v1.3 and LORA 32 v2.1 devices today.

For the v2 board the firmware installation went well, I can connect to the app, seems all good :slight_smile:

For the v1 board I am having difficulties installing the latest firmware (firmware-tlora-v1-1.2.11.bin). I run

python -m esptool --baud 921600 write_flash 0x10000 firmware-tlora-v1-1.2.11.bin
esptool.py v3.0
Found 3 serial ports
Serial port /dev/cu.usbserial-0001
Connecting.....
Detecting chip type... ESP32
Chip is ESP32-D0WDQ6-V3 (revision 3)
Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
Crystal is 26MHz
MAC: c4:4f:33:7f:6f:89
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Changing baud rate to 921600
Changed.
Configuring flash size...
Compressed 1573152 bytes to 927003...
Wrote 1573152 bytes (927003 compressed) at 0x00010000 in 19.5 seconds (effective 644.8 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.

Leaving...
Hard resetting via RTS pin...

but the display won’t turn on after restarting. The red LED is flashing and it seems not to show as a bluetooth device. Also:

meshtastic --info

Timed out waiting for connection completion

There was some other firmware on it before and when I turned it on for the first time there was some output on the display. So I am sure the hardware/display is okay.

It seems that I picket the wrong firmware for this board, or I ordered the wrong board that might not even be supported. How can I find out?

I believe with the esptool you need to erase before you can flash

python -m esptool --baud 921600 erase_flash
python -m esptool --baud 921600 write_flash 0x10000 firmware-tlora-v1-1.2.11.bin

Ah, I didn’t know that, thanks for the hint.

Erasing worked:

python -m esptool --baud 921600 erase_flash
esptool.py v3.0
Found 3 serial ports
Connecting…
Detecting chip type… ESP32
Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
Crystal is 26MHz
Uploading stub…
Running stub…
Stub running…
Changed.
Erasing flash (this may take a while)…
Chip erase completed successfully in 3.5s
Hard resetting via RTS pin…

and also flashing afterwards:

esptool.py v3.0
Found 3 serial ports
Connecting…_
Detecting chip type… ESP32
Crystal is 26MHz
Uploading stub…
Running stub…
Stub running…
Changed.
Configuring flash size…
Compressed 1573152 bytes to 927003…
Wrote 1573152 bytes (927003 compressed) at 0x00010000 in 18.9 seconds (effective 667.0 kbit/s)…
Hash of data verified.

Leaving…
Hard resetting via RTS pin…

but it still only flashes the red LED :frowning:

What firmware did you use 433Mhz or 868Mhz

Hi, I use firmware-tlora-v1-1.2.11.bin and it seems to me there is only one firmware file for all frequencies now and frequency needs to be configured instead of selected by the firmware file (since 1.2?) - I would configure 433MHz as soon as I could connect to the device.

it defaults to USA regions unless you set the region with the phone app or API

Your TTGO is the 433Mhz version and you cannot use the 868Mhz or 925Mhz firmware …
I go to look at the firmware and write you again.

1 Like