Duty cycle limits

One thing it would be good to have is a duty cycle setting. It’s a 10% duty cycle in Europe

AFAIK this isn’t currently enforced on Meshtastic, so it’s not really legal to use in Europe.

There has been talk about this, and default setting choices that should keep most users within the limits. But anyone can download and modify the source code so there isn’t much point in trying to prevent determined users. There has been some efforts to start implementing the needed functions to track duty cycle.

That said, over all the majority of active users and developers seem in favor of being as ‘legal’ as possible.

1 Like

Though wouldn’t exceeding that threshold (or not) be up to the operator of the node (even if the code doesn’t yet protect the operator by enforcing that limit)?

1 Like

You’re correct, it’s actually up to the vendor of the equipment. "Current technology on the market in the EU region must comply to the regulations described above"

So it’s just that you can’t sell devices in Europe that have Meshtastic on them. It seems like you might be able to operate them. My use case would include installing repeaters on official type buildings, where they’d want evidence of CE marking etc, but this may be a bit of a niche case.

If you were trying to sell a device in Europe it would need to be CE marked as well, such as the Pygo or LoPy

1 Like

yes I fully agree there are plenty of examples of electronics that do have CE approval but can be used in ways that do not meet approval of certain authorities.
The end user is responsible for correct usage in terms of regulations and laws
A Porsche 911 Turbo S can maybe hit a top speed of 250 KM/H but that doesn’t mean you are allowed to do so on normal public road, in terms of Lora/Lorawan it is just sticking to the duty cycle that is set for the Country it is being used The fact that no radio license or permit is needed is very interesting and makes it more accessible for a wider public not having to have deep pockets and still able to develop nice projects, in terms of the Pycom products they are fine and do what they say on the box, however they are expensive as well in comparison with other platforms and I must admit that IMHO the Bluetooth side is lacking certain functionality and there is not much new development to resolve these certain issues, but hey that’s just my personal view and nothing more than that

1 Like