Changing region code/using custom frequencies?

I have been playing around with meshtastic and am considering putting in a few permanent repeaters, however I want to use a different set of frequencies than default (This one specifically) due to EU868 having some limitations at the higher end of the frequency around our local regulations.

Would I be able to do this and still retain simple things like updating via and android app?
Is the bandwidth across this set of frequencies less than eu868 that I have been testing with?

Forgive my ignorance around this topic I am still learning a fair bit about the software side of things as I have limited experience tinkering with it.

Hi,

The frequency is determined by A) the hardware and B) the firmware installed.
A) - there is some leeway within the device frequency, maybe up/down 20 or more MHz (someone with more radio knowledge may comment), but 865 to 868 should work.
B) If your device is close to the desired frequency, you can select other (regional) firmware versions from the release pack and try them out.

Finally, you could update the device code to build a custom version yourself?

Just be aware of local regulations, and I think the project devs will only build “official” release that conform to LoRa standards.

Hey qurm thanks for that.
I have been testing with EU868 the issue is there are restrictions at the top of the frequency in my country.
864-868 are open with up to 1w transmit power 6 dBW, however 868-870 is limited to -27 dBW and the maximum permitted duty cycle is 1%.

This is an official Lora frequency as linked above but it’s only really useful for my country, an official India version of the firmware for meshtastic would also work here as they have restrictions above 867mhz.
however the frequency is narrower than we are allowed.

When it comes to coding my own I would like to try I have very limited experience with this and would not really know where to start.

Hi,

So you are actually in NZ, wanting to use an official NZ freq? In that case you could raise an enhancement request here, asking for a change to the frequencies and special build for an “NZ” special region. The change appears to be small (though I am not sure how many different frequency sets the project wants to maintain…).
Issues · meshtastic/Meshtastic-device (github.com).

The power limit is also set in firmware, at the link below. To be able to use the transmit power will depend on the device too. There was some earlier discussion in the forum about the maximum that the TBeam will output.

Meshtastic-device/RadioInterface.cpp at cc127f7dad5e50f11b9ca784d21208f3133de6dc · meshtastic/Meshtastic-device (github.com)

1 Like

Yes indeed I am in NZ.
Yeah powerlimit is no issue with out a booster between 864-868.

Thanks I will put in a request, teaming it with the official India feq could work well :slight_smile:
Thanks for the link to the code too I will look through that and see what I can figure out.