“Directing” message paths?

Question: is there a way to tell Meshtastic which “direction” to send messages? For example:

My brother lives backed up against a mountain. I live in the valley. I have 40 nodes around me in all directions. He and I see/share several, so I should be able to connect with him.

When he sends a message in LongFast, I see it. But when I reply, he does not.

My theory is: his message can only go one direction–away from the mountain (no nodes on the mountains), which means nodes in my direction pick it up, and it gets to me in 3 hops.

But when I reply, I wonder if the nodes picking up and repeating my message are in the opposite direction of my brother, which means no number of hops will get it to him.

(Is this how Meshtastic works?)

If so, does a direct message to my brother tell Meshtastic that is my goal, and it can somehow specify which nodes it wants to repeat my message, to send it his direction?

You cannot specify in which direction to send, because it will go both ways. If a node does not hear anyone else relay already, it will do so, so it will count down from 3 in both ways.

The reason you can receive, but not answer might be due to different hardware or antennas.

1 Like