Newbie Questions

I’m sure these questions have been asked a bunch of times. I’ve watched a few youtube videos and searched a few websites to understand meshtastic but I’m not sure about it.

1. Can you send messages from a PC?
  2. Can you change the name of each receiver?
  3. If I put up a repeater can anyone use it and see my position?

I was hoping to use it for work in a remote area where cell texts have trouble sending and also keep track of a work truck.

1 Like
  1. YES! via the web interface or serial or python api
  2. YES
  3. YES! if you so choose! but you can also have a private encrypted network that is closed.

This project is in early beta so some of these feature work well and at times some dont lol.

2 Likes

Okay, great, thanks for the quick reply. I understand the beta, it would be more of a fun tinkering project at my job site.

Knowing this i’ll probably pull the trigger and get a few to tinker with.

1 Like

Im also writiting a GUI ZebusJesus/Meshtastic-PyGUI: Python Based GUI that uses the Meshtastic API (github.com)

2 Likes

Cool, got it added on my github. Thanks!

1 Like

I feel this is a noob question so I’ll ask it here too… I’ve sent messages and they always just go to every radio in the channel but I see in the wiki that there is a way to send a message to a specific user. How do I do that?

2 Likes

From memory, so it might not be 100% accurate:

Find the destination ID.

meshtastic --info

will list all nodes in mesh along with their IDs, for example !1cd70ae27

Then

meshtastic --dest '!1cd70ae27' --sendtext 'Hello this is a message for your eyes only'

should send the message to the recipient bearing that destination ID.

4 Likes

Can this be done through the app? I tried and didn’t seem to work for me. Lol

no - alas, not UI yet in the android app for this. But someday!

1 Like

Ill add it to the GUI

3 Likes