Configure Lilygo T-Echo from SoftRF to Meshtastic

I got a Lilygo T-Echo with GPS and environmental module that came with SoftRF firmware. I think the SoftRF firmware is an airplane application. I was not able to find much about it. If you reply with information on SoftRF then I thank you in advance.

I have configured the T-Echo to use Meshtastic. I just flashed the device to the latest stable firmware with the Meshtastic Flasher following the instructions. Flasher worked just fine with no problems. However, the environmental module and GPS were not working after the reboot.

To get the environmental module to work, I used the Radio Configure/Module Configure/Telemetry menu to turn enable Environmental data and send it to the device. After the reboot, the environmental data was available.

For GPS, there was a little more to do. Go to Radio Config/Position menu. First, one needs to change the state to “Enable”. Second for GPS to work, one needs to define the GPS pins used, The T-Echo back
card is a help. The pin definitions I used: GPS TX is pin 8, GPS RX is pin 9 GPS enable is pin 2 (card calls it Wake). Send the information to the device. After reboot and the normal wait for GPS to get the satellites, the GPS data was available.

I hope this is a help to someone else.

4 Likes

Thank you for documenting this procedure!