Clarification on router/client mode app visibility

I’m playing with 2 x t-beams and 2 x ttgo’s (all new versions of everything). The ttgo’s I’ve configured as router mode with one on a hill (static position) and one with a GPS and broadcasting position every 30 mins…for my collie (Meg).
Next day I’ve lost visibility on the app of the hill node, pretty sure it’s still alive (UPDATE…it was hung on the boot screen…first time) as previous testing with two parallel 18650’s was excellent. Can still see the ‘Meg’ node on the app though!?
Are the ‘router’ mode nodes supposed to drop off the app? I thought they might…but why can I still see the dogs? The dog node didn’t need messaging just better battery and ability to view her position on the app map and even request position when required. Is router mode not the best solution for asset tracking or am I best staying in client and shutting some stuff down?
As for the hill repeater I’ll check tomorrow if alive unless there’s a way to bring it remotely back onto the app list and map? Next step is a solar module testing. Not sure if the cheap epoxy coated cells will weather well or I need to protect further.
If I can get the hill nodes robustly working even with better batt chemistry for cold/heat and I’m right in think other people can use the repeaters for their own encrypted ‘group’ it would be amazing!

Hi, might be that this one is your problem https://github.com/meshtastic/firmware/issues/2084 I have seen it also on TBeam as well. It happens only when it enters light-sleep and it fails. I have provided solution, however caveman99 is still busy on several issues. If you can compile FW yourself then you can build in the solution I mentioned. If you clone from the master you will also get the fix for the heap-leak. Light sleep helps a lot with battery time. My record with samsung INR18650-29E is about 90 hrs. I have switched off GPS as my TBeam is on fixed location.

Thank you for detailing a possible reason. I’d only enountered the stuck screen on the one occasion. At least I know now that the router nodes stay viewable on the app…so if it disappears I know there’s a problem. I hadn’t written down the location of where the node was on the mountain but I knew the general area. It was still hard to locate within a 20 radius.
The dog tracker in router mode behaved very well lasting a few days even with a cheap BN-180 gps module with lights blinking all the time…however I believe the TTGO Lora32 didn’t stop the battery running below 2v. The board may have powered off but the gps was still ‘trying’ with a weak flashing led. I’m going to attach a bms to the battery pack and that should stop that.
Thanks again for letting me know of heap leak and solution

Is that TTGO lora32 with external GPS. You might be better off with TBeam as it has built in GPS and if you like you can attach external GPS-antenna. TBeam is able to stop bleeding a battery around 3250mV and it will go to DeepSleep and switch off GPS. You need to maintain power.sdssecs to some reasonable value instead of one year. I have it as 3600 seconds. So, when the battery gets low , TBeam will deep-sleep 3600 seconds and then start again to check the situation. If the battery is still low it will deep sleep again until battery gets changed or charged.

The screen is not stuck, the device is rebooting over and over. You can get the backtrace from the crash over serial.