Change settings with terminal emulator

Hi, I struggle with getting the Phyton interface to work. I am however able to see the messages sent on the serial port in my terminal emulator. So my question is: Is it possible to change settings via a terminal emulator? Either via sending an text file or by sending some commands?

1 Like

Hmm. Not really, the device itself doesn’t really have a user interface for changing settings.

Perhaps we can help make the python tool better. What problems have you seen?

I think a step by step guide might solve it. I installed phyton, but don’t know where to go from there. Where to run the commands to install and import…

1 Like

Hope it helps: Bad GPS, remove it?

1 Like

That list is great! Any interest in editing the meshtastic-python README.md and add that as a step by step install guide?

(The curse of good deeds :laughing:)

Ahahahah sure Kevin, will do!

1 Like

I’ve got some of the Phyton stuff to work:

This commands works in the phyton IDLE shell (3.9.1) in Windows 10:

import meshtastic
interface = meshtastic.SerialInterface() 
interface.sendText("hello mesh")
interface.close()

I get the text in the display.

But when trying to run the other commands like for example:

meshtastic --set wait_bluetooth_secs 28800

I get invalid syntax. The same for all those meshtastic --commands…

Anyone have an idea how to fix it?

the “meshtastic” command is a shell command for your OS of choice. i.e. you enter it at your dos, linux or OS-X command line directly (not inside of python).

If you type “meshtastic” at a dos prompt does it find and run it? If not this might be a good tip to make sure that the python/scripts directory is in the PATH. (I don’t have windows right now)

Update: I just added a note about this to our documentation:

it works now. Thanks!

It was the path tip that fixed it.

2 Likes