Can a nightly scheduled reboot option be added to firmware?

It would be nice if there was option to schedule restart the device nightly like a wireless router offers?
I find that over time the web and message interfaces seem to become unresponsive, only a restart seems to resolve right now, and and sending remotely not working every time.
I know this is not great for all testing so an option flag would be needed.

Roxy

2 Likes

Could you open an issue on the GitHub repo? (GitHub - meshtastic/Meshtastic-device: Device code for the Meshtastic ski/hike/fly/customizable open GPS radio). That way we won’t lose track of it

I can definitely see the utility in having a reboot_after_secs setting or something like that

1 Like

That’s almost it, but be able to save that setting so the node will reboot that often every time. So meshtastic --set reboot_after_secs 86400 will make it reboot every 24hrs

2 Likes

It’d be nice to have more info on what’s going on? Do you have logs of the issue?

I’d prefer work on the root cause rather than hide it under a reboot.

1 Like

I understand that, and that is why I asked for it as an option, for those that may want to use their TBeams and not have to manually restart them for any issues that may arise over time. Often I have to go all the up to my gateway t-beam to restart it when it becomes unresponsive.
So, for a list of the problems?

• stops sending to all units while still receiving from all/some units or none.
  • disconnects from wifi and does not reconnect
    and I am sure there are others that you may already be chasing down, but some of use would like to USE our nodes for our intended purposes, that may not be chasing down bugs.
    There are others doing that and reporting their results, right?
    I have one T-Beam on my desk for debugging, but the gateway way upstairs is a pain to get to just to reboot. Most routers have this option.
    Logs? I’ll see about getting some, is there some good up to date documentation for how to gather that?
3 Likes

stops sending - this is the first I’ve heard of this and can’t find any open bugs on it. really would appreciate logs to track this down. also, what firmware version are you running? how many devices? what hardware?

wifi - far as I know, we fixed the last of the wifi connection bugs about 2 months ago. same request as above.

Logs - Are you on Linux, Mac or windows?

Main PC is windows, I have linux sever and pi available.
the gateway is currently firmware-1.2.53.19c1f9f

On Windows, the easiest way to get the logs is to install putty ( https://www.putty.org ) and open your com port at 921600.

Excited to see those logs.

This is serial to the usb port? I’ll have to take a laptop up there.