Build nodes for city network

When in disaster scenario, people not have time to grab it all together, you want to run for your live.
In this build case unit, you able to grab on the large antenna and you run for it. One simple or small, handy unit to put in your pocket, still be the best option.

BUILD:
Top box i drill a hole to fit the N-female bulkhead and the mast mount clamp came with the Sirio antenna.
Build 8x of these boxes to setup in city area, just 1x small case/box for easy pickup and install.

TODO:
modification to move the GPS antenna to the top
external WiFi / BT antenna outside or inside the case (not decide if or where i put it)

• TityGo Tbeam = 15,00 - 22,00
  • IP65 hammond box size 15 x 15 x 9 cm = 25,00
  • Sirio mast mount clamp on top
  • Sirio 868 antenna 4 dBd - N-Female + mastclamp = 59,00
  • N-Female to SMA-male adapter = 9,00
  • Brass bold for ground and keep mast clamp in place
  • 6000 Amp power bank on the right side = 30,00
  • 5 Volts from the power bank a short USB-A to USB-C to TityGo / LilyGo = 10,00
  • waterproof pass true for USB cable, 5 Volts, charging, solar panel or programming = 5,00 for 10
  • Solar panel used for power or charge IP camera or smartphones = 70,00
  • back solar a IP65 case, inside case 5 Volts USB-A cable go to power bank charge connector

Pictures build unit

TiTiGo_BOX_001_SMALL

TiTiGo_BOX_004_SMALL

TiTiGo_BOX_003_SMALL

3 Likes

Looks good, where does the 5v come from?

5 Volts from the powerbank a short USB -C to USB-A cable to Lilygo (not show on picture, these or on the way and solar panels)

Nice, it looks very pro. I’m waiting for the NRF52 work to develop a bit & then I’ll probably have another go at my solar node

Would you be up for sharing the case/antenna you use?

One observation from building community wireless networks back in the day, is things almost always leak eventually. It’s not always possible, but if you can mount both your antenna and cable glands on the bottom of your enclosure you reduce the risk of leaks. There’s usually a performance hit in at least one direction, as the pole interferes with your RF, but often worth doing IMHO if you want installations to last years/decades.

UPDATE : the first post.

1 Like

I will be using this Solar Power Management module and a large Lipo battery, when i install outdoor nodes

For 5V/1A regulated output

1 Like

There is a IP65 box on the backside solar panel, in the box are 2x USB-A 5 Volt 1 Amp and 2.5 mm 12 Volt 1 Amp output. Solar panel are used for powering IP camera’s in the field, garden or where is no power.
Cost 70,00 US / EURO on amazon

1 Like

Nice, there’s plenty of use cases where that would be a good solution. I seem to remember I couldn’t get my Waveshare module to automatically boot after a low-voltage lockout condition, but I might have had a faulty unit/ used it incorrectly.

In my context, we reach freezing temperatures in the winter, so I believe LifePO4 with the onboard heating provided by this MPPT is a good choice for my -0c context.

Below 15 degrees, LifePo or other type be less powerfull, Gell battery always defect after winter. NiMh accu or a AGM acid battery still best option and used in emergency power source. Normally i use motorbike battery for stand-alone units, and 10 Amp is heavy and big sized filling the half case. or use a peltierelement (passive thermos-electric element) for heating

1 Like

Could you explain the power bank in your context? How would you avoid charging that below -0c? Or is it just there as proof of concept?

Is this ~£52 10Ah AGM the kind of thing you’d use? Presumably, that would have its own enclosure? Is there any affordable true MPPT available for AGM at that scale? Or would you just stick with PWM and a ~10w ~20w 18v nominal panel?

I drive motorbike for 48 years, Acid batterys are big and heavy in to a case mounted on mast.
Forgot your first question,
i drive electric motorbike for 2 years in winter, it charge but not fully like when above 15 - 20 degrees Winter drive 20 - 30 km than its empty, summer its over 80+ km distance.

Yes if using AGM it would need to be mounted separately which seems complicated.
That’s why I like the LifePO4. They could be mounted on a pole in below-freezing conditions, with the MPPT/heater.

I still don’t quite understand why there is a Li-ion power bank in your photo? Is it just for testing? Or for a warm climate deployment?

Use this peltierelement