Antenna recommendations?

Here are some antennas that I’ve tested.

From left to right

Ziisor Mag-mount antenna
Decent build quality for the price. Performance is as expected for a omni-directional antenna. The magnet isn’t very strong but it does the job. It needs to be mounted to a ground plane to work properly. VSWR is surprisingly good on multiple bands. That’s not necessarily a pro if you want out of band rejection. This was probably designed as a cellular antenna as it dips in all the right places for North American cell bands.

Maple Wireless Moxon Directional antenna
I really like this antenna. I haven’t verified the gain but real world performance indicates that it’s probably as advertised. It’s directional but the front lobe is pretty close to 180 degrees. Front to back ratio is impressive.

A mystery antenna
It was sold to me as a 915MHz LORA antenna from Amazon. The listing is no longer up so I can’t post it. Obviously it’s just a WIFI antenna and it sucks at 915MHz.

The stock TTGO T-Beam antenna
I’ve got two stock antennas that came with my T-Beams and both are pretty much equally sucky at 915MHz. The seem to be tuned for 770MHz. I opened one up to try to tune it but they are made with a tube instead of a wire so clipping a bit off the end isn’t really a possibility.

7 Likes