hopLimit form Android App

How to increase hop_limit to packet sent from Android APP?
My new network look like this:

I can see all the nodes in the application on the map.
When I send a message using the Android app with T Beam in the car, the packet can only reach the “home2” repeater.

I increased #define HOP RELIABLE from 3 to 5 in “Mesh Types.h”. Now I can also see position and node info packets from Tbeam2 in the Python API using Tbeam1. But I cannot send a text message to Tbeam2.

1 Like

Alas, no ui for this exists in the Android app. But if you add a bug on meshtastic-android I should be able to add this in a couple of weeks.

5 Likes

Hi,
any solution on the hop limit?
is it still 3? Where can I read more about the algorithm for the mesh connection?

You can change the hop limit by using the Python API.

Here’s the writeup of the mesh algorithm.

1 Like

btw: the reason I set the default hop limit at 3 is that the range on these radios (with default settings) is QUITE high. So except for really unusual topologies, for most current small meshes, I think 3 will probably be sufficient :wink:

(and every extra hop - since all radios on a channel (currently) share the same frequency - burns up a lot of shared airtime)

I can imagine the “unusual topography” may actually become a real-world use case. Buildings and hills will attenuate the signal quite a bit.

In San Francisco, if I’m going through a block of houses where one node is about 1m from the ground level, it’s difficult to get more than 1/10mi (~0.15km).

1 Like

Created a thread on the topic, I’ve started studying the stuff, I’ll keep you posted with what I come up with.

Can you give me an example, how to change the hoplimit by Python Api?

If you get a helpful reply please add it to the wiki (if it is not already there).

1 Like