Meshtastic

TTGO TBEAM esptool chip_id command not working

Hi, I connected my tbeam to pc with data usb cable I was following tutorial and when I type esptool chip_id in gitbash it respond with bash: esptool: command not found, what can I do to fix it?

Generally means that the software in question, in this case esptool is not installed. What do you get from running esptool -h (displays help from most command line programs if they are installed properly)

Thank you for fast answer, this is what I get $ esptool -h
bash: esptool: command not found
But I run command pip install --upgrade esptool before.

When you ran pip install --upgrade esptool where there any messages/output?

2 Likes

Often there is a path or alias set by the install that is not recognized until you re-open the command prompt, try closing git bash and re-opening it and try it again

2 Likes

It is strange, it worked for a while I even managed to set wifi on the device, and now it is not working again.This is the message:
Nikola@DESKTOP-B8IID91 MINGW64 ~
$ pip install --upgrade esptool
Requirement already satisfied: esptool in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (3.1)
Requirement already satisfied: bitstring>=3.1.6 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from esptool) (3.1.9)
Requirement already satisfied: cryptography>=2.1.4 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from esptool) (3.4.7)
Requirement already satisfied: ecdsa>=0.16.0 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from esptool) (0.17.0)
Requirement already satisfied: pyserial>=3.0 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from esptool) (3.5)
Requirement already satisfied: reedsolo<=1.5.4,>=1.5.3 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from esptool) (1.5.4)
Requirement already satisfied: cffi>=1.12 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from cryptography>=2.1.4->esptool) (1.14.6)
Requirement already satisfied: pycparser in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from cffi>=1.12->cryptography>=2.1.4->esptool) (2.20)
Requirement already satisfied: six>=1.9.0 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from ecdsa>=0.16.0->esptool) (1.16.0)

That is pretty strange.

I bet the problem is that the special directory pip puts ‘wrapper scripts’ into is not in your path. When you install python there is a checkbox in the GUI installer to turn this on.