TTGO TBEAM esptool chip_id command not working

Hi, I connected my tbeam to pc with data usb cable I was following tutorial and when I type esptool chip_id in gitbash it respond with bash: esptool: command not found, what can I do to fix it?

Generally means that the software in question, in this case esptool is not installed. What do you get from running esptool -h (displays help from most command line programs if they are installed properly)

Thank you for fast answer, this is what I get $ esptool -h
bash: esptool: command not found
But I run command pip install --upgrade esptool before.

When you ran pip install --upgrade esptool where there any messages/output?

2 Likes

Often there is a path or alias set by the install that is not recognized until you re-open the command prompt, try closing git bash and re-opening it and try it again

2 Likes

It is strange, it worked for a while I even managed to set wifi on the device, and now it is not working again.This is the message:
Nikola@DESKTOP-B8IID91 MINGW64 ~
$ pip install --upgrade esptool
Requirement already satisfied: esptool in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (3.1)
Requirement already satisfied: bitstring>=3.1.6 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from esptool) (3.1.9)
Requirement already satisfied: cryptography>=2.1.4 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from esptool) (3.4.7)
Requirement already satisfied: ecdsa>=0.16.0 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from esptool) (0.17.0)
Requirement already satisfied: pyserial>=3.0 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from esptool) (3.5)
Requirement already satisfied: reedsolo<=1.5.4,>=1.5.3 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from esptool) (1.5.4)
Requirement already satisfied: cffi>=1.12 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from cryptography>=2.1.4->esptool) (1.14.6)
Requirement already satisfied: pycparser in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from cffi>=1.12->cryptography>=2.1.4->esptool) (2.20)
Requirement already satisfied: six>=1.9.0 in c:\users\nikola\appdata\local\programs\python\python39\lib\site-packages (from ecdsa>=0.16.0->esptool) (1.16.0)

That is pretty strange.

I bet the problem is that the special directory pip puts ‘wrapper scripts’ into is not in your path. When you install python there is a checkbox in the GUI installer to turn this on.

@Nidzolino123 Did you resolve the esptool install problem? I seem to be having similar trouble with the esptool chip_id or esptools.py chip_id

Welcome!

What OS are you running? I just ran into this problem on linux (specifically ubuntu). I fixed it, but I am not saying I did it in the best way…I mostly don’t know what I am doing.

I installed esptool with:

pip3 install --upgrade esptool

after that running esptool or esptool.py just said command not found. so I added the install path to my $PATH. If you run the same pip3 install --upgrade esptool again it told me esptool.py was at:

/home/USERNAME/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages

so I edited my .bashrc

nano ~/.bashrc

and added this to the very bottom of the file:

export PATH="/home/USERNAME/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages:$PATH"

then I need to login and back out for the settings to take effect OR just enter:

source ~/.bashrc

now I can run esptool.py with no problems. anyway hope that helps someone. also if this a totaly insane way to fix the problem, please someone correct me. lol

1 Like

try

python -m esptool 

:wink:

Ok tried python -m esptool and I get

esptool.py v3.2
usage: esptool [-h]
[–chip {auto,esp8266,esp32,esp32s2,esp32s3beta2,esp32s3,esp32c3,esp32c6beta,esp32h2,esp8684}]
[–port PORT] [–baud BAUD]
[–before {default_reset,usb_reset,no_reset,no_reset_no_sync}]
[–after {hard_reset,soft_reset,no_reset,no_reset_stub}]
[–no-stub] [–trace] [–override-vddsdio [{1.8V,1.9V,OFF}]]
[–connect-attempts CONNECT_ATTEMPTS]
{load_ram,dump_mem,read_mem,write_mem,write_flash,run,image_info,make_image,elf2image,read_mac,chip_id,flash_id,read_flash_status,write_flash_status,read_flash,verify_flash,erase_flash,erase_region,merge_bin,version,get_security_info}

esptool.py v3.2 - ESP8266 ROM Bootloader Utility

positional arguments:
{load_ram,dump_mem,read_mem,write_mem,write_flash,run,image_info,make_image,elf2image,read_mac,chip_id,flash_id,read_flash_status,write_flash_status,read_flash,verify_flash,erase_flash,erase_region,merge_bin,version,get_security_info}
Run esptool {command} -h for additional help
load_ram Download an image to RAM and execute
dump_mem Dump arbitrary memory to disk
read_mem Read arbitrary memory location
write_mem Read-modify-write to arbitrary memory location
write_flash Write a binary blob to flash
run Run application code in flash
image_info Dump headers from an application image
make_image Create an application image from binary files
elf2image Create an application image from ELF file
read_mac Read MAC address from OTP ROM
chip_id Read Chip ID from OTP ROM
flash_id Read SPI flash manufacturer and device ID
read_flash_status Read SPI flash status register
write_flash_status Write SPI flash status register
read_flash Read SPI flash content
verify_flash Verify a binary blob against flash
erase_flash Perform Chip Erase on SPI flash
erase_region Erase a region of the flash
merge_bin Merge multiple raw binary files into a single file for
later flashing
version Print esptool version
get_security_info Get some security-related data

options:
-h, --help show this help message and exit
–chip {auto,esp8266,esp32,esp32s2,esp32s3beta2,esp32s3,esp32c3,esp32c6beta,esp32h2,esp8684}, -c {auto,esp8266,esp32,esp32s2,esp32s3beta2,esp32s3,esp32c3,esp32c6beta,esp32h2,esp8684}
Target chip type
–port PORT, -p PORT Serial port device
–baud BAUD, -b BAUD Serial port baud rate used when flashing/reading
–before {default_reset,usb_reset,no_reset,no_reset_no_sync}
What to do before connecting to the chip
–after {hard_reset,soft_reset,no_reset,no_reset_stub}, -a {hard_reset,soft_reset,no_reset,no_reset_stub}
What to do after esptool.py is finished
–no-stub Disable launching the flasher stub, only talk to ROM
bootloader. Some features will not be available.
–trace, -t Enable trace-level output of esptool.py interactions.
–override-vddsdio [{1.8V,1.9V,OFF}]
Override ESP32 VDDSDIO internal voltage regulator (use
with care)
–connect-attempts CONNECT_ATTEMPTS
Number of attempts to connect, negative or 0 for
infinite. Default: 7.

But still getting nothing with esptool.py chip_id

When I try esptool.py chip_id now getting this.

$ esptool.py chip_id
esptool.py v3.2
Found 0 serial ports

A fatal error occurred: Could not connect to an Espressif device on any of the 0 available serial ports.

Make sure that you use a proper USB cable with data lines and not those cheap cables that only support charging. Also, confirm that your device shows up as serial adaptor.

1 Like