Traceroute limitations?

Are there any limitations to ‘traceroute’ (send from the popup menu on a node in the android app)? I get answers from my nodes and very few other nodes on the default mesh. But no answers whatsoever from the vast majority of all the other nodes (>40) I can see.

For traceroute to work, you need an active two-way connection. Nodes will be kept in the list, but it might be you cannot reach them anymore.

Yes, I test it on nodes that just reported to the mesh and show up with ‘now’ time. But I have no further information about these nodes - hardware or firmware. So could it be that all these node lack a traceroute module?

Another question: Does every node on the route has to be able to process the traceroute request? Or is it sufficient if only the two endpoints can do that? If one single node along the route doesn’t process the tracroute request will it fail then, or does this node just not apear on the list of nodes along the route?

Devices on the endpoints do need the module, nodes in the middle not per se, but they will they not show up in the list.
See also the documentation. The nodes also need to know the encryption key.

It can be that when the nodes update to “now”, you can receive their packets but you can’t reach them due to e.g. different hardware or antennas.

Ok, thank you for the explanation and the help. I will try own devices on (very) different endpoints then.