Stubs error! Can't get device ready for firmware update

Hi guys!

I’m trying to update the firmware of my Lora t-beam 1.1 with on the mac terminal and also with esp flasher tool app, but got this errors. Can anybody help, please? Thanks

On mac terminal with command: esptool.py chip_id

“esptool.py v3.2
Found 2 serial ports
Serial port /dev/cu.usbmodem53230056341
Connecting…
Detecting chip type… Unsupported detection protocol, switching and trying again…
Connecting…
Detecting chip type… ESP32
Chip is ESP32-D0WDQ6-V3 (revision 3)
Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
Crystal is 40MHz
MAC: 44:17:93:88:ef:a4
Uploading stub…
A fatal error occurred: Failed to write to target RAM (result was 01070000: Operation timed out)”

On mac ESPHome-flasher app:

"Using ‘/dev/cu.usbmodem53230056581’ as serial port.
Connecting…[17:20:47]ets Jul 29 2019 12:21:46
[17:20:47]
[17:20:47]rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x3 (DOWNLOAD_BOOT(UART0/UART1/SDIO_REI_REO_V2))
[17:20:47]waiting for download
…Serial port closed!

Detecting chip type… Unsupported detection protocol, switching and trying again…
Connecting…
Detecting chip type… ESP32
Connecting…

Chip Info:

• Chip Family: ESP32
  • Chip Model: ESP32-D0WDQ6-V3 (revision 3)
  • Number of Cores: 2
  • Max CPU Frequency: 240MHz
  • Has Bluetooth: YES
  • Has Embedded Flash: NO
  • Has Factory-Calibrated ADC: YES
  • MAC Address: …:…:…:…:…:…
    Uploading stub…
    Unexpected error: Error putting ESP in stub flash mode: Failed to write to target RAM (result was 01070000: Operation timed out)"

we have been working on a flash tool actually

You use pip to install the python module

2 Likes

running into a repeated issue across gui and terminal flashing, with this gui getting “No module named esptool”

I’ve installed esptool globally, etc etc etc… ugh so frustrated.

Any chance you’ve a workaround?

I’m trying to update v1.1 t-beam on mac with ESPHome-Flasher, but getting “Unexpected error: Error putting ESP in stub flash mode: Failed to write to target RAM (result was 01070000: Operation timed out)”

I looked here and Discord for help, but can’t find anything useful. I am not very savvy, so don’t know what to do with the post above by zebus. I don’t know anything about python or pip!

Can anyone help out a total noob? I’ve built cases for remote nodes with solar, but can’t get past the firmware update.

Hey Junkernaut!

Can you give this solution a try? I think your issue and the original poster’s issue both are related to the serial drivers and /dev entries for these devices. If you look at the first line in the original poster’s image you’ll notice the device is listed as a /dev/cu.usbmodem* device. With the proper drivers installed and working it should be listed as a /dev/wchusbserial* device.

Since you’re getting the same error as the original poster it may be the same issue and getting the right serial chipset drivers installed may fix it.

https://meshtastic.discourse.group/t/failed-to-write-to-target-ram-result-was-01070000/3874/25?u=ricinnewmexico

2 Likes

Ric, thank you so much for this!

I was able to successfully flash all 3 t-beam on my macbook pro running osx 12.1.

what a big relief to be past that step! now onto learning more about using meshtastic…

1 Like

Use the new meshtastic flasher for flashing devices