Standalone device utilized with rotary encoder as input

Hi @mauricecyril
On my TBeam (M8N) using pins 32/33 for encoder A/B does not work, as if there were no pull-ups activated. But using pins 14/15 for encoder A/B works out of the box.

1 Like

Hi @mgr could you also let me know which pin you wired the button/encoder press on the encoder?

TBeam Pin 14 ------ Encoder PIN A
TBeam GND -------- Encoder GND
TBeam Pin 15 ------ Encoder PIN B

TBeam Pin ??? ------ Encoder PRESS
TBeam GND -------- Encoder Press GND

Just tested again and same issue, no reaction when using the encoder via pin 14 & 15. Push button on the encoder wired to 13 works however.

I also tried on the heltec and by accident my finger touched one of pins on the encoder and bridged encoder pin a with encoder ground (pin a is connected to pin 37) and the message menu moved. So I can confirm that the canned message feature works on heltecs just not using the encoder itself.

Some more testing. I tested the heltec v2 with a rotary encoder that was presoldered to a breakout board (also has resistors on the breakout board similar to https://www.okystar.com/product-item/ky040-rotary-encoder-module-oky3431/ ). My previous tests were with an encoder without a breakout board.

On the heltec when I tried my initial wiring (using pins 36, 37 and 38 on the heltec) the rotary wouldn’t work or it would trigger a constant press on the push button.

I tried using pin 17 for the push button and 12 and 13 for the encoder dial. After I changed these pins using the meshtastic cli it began to work.

Still no luck with the tbeams yet but would like test again with the encoder breakout.

Sure, TBeam Pin 14 & 15 on encoder A & B, Pin 13 on one of encoder button pins. Encoder GNDs (other of the button pins and the one between A and B) bridged together and on GND of TBeam.
Bare encoder (no breakout board), TBeam M8N (T22_V1.1), pin labelling of left row, top to bottom:
VP
VN
RST
15 → enc B
14 → enc A
13 → button 1
GND → enc GND → button 2
5V

1 Like

Thank you so much. I’ll test again :slight_smile:

Finally got it working! Tested and the rotary encoder on the breakout works for both Tbeams and the Heltec v2.
I switched out the wires I used so not sure if it’s the quality of the initial jumper wires I was using. The new ones are alot shorter (10cm) and the devices pick up the encoder.