Standalone device utilized with rotary encoder as input

It seams to be pin34-38 does not support pullups. So you might either want to pick other ports, or use a pullup resistor (10k).

Other pins mentioned should be okay, I’m not sure about TBeam internal components.

Please note the debug output on the serial.

2 Likes

Hi @prampec I’ll try pull up resistors. Quick question is there a way to configure the canned messages to accept different input other than rotary encoder control? For example if I were to wire 3 push buttons could I configure

Button 1 ---- KEY_UP
Button 2 ---- KEY_PRESS
Button 3 ---- KEY_DOWN

Yes. The Canned Message plugin is designed to accept any kind of input. The only thins is that I was implemented the rotary input exclusively.
Simple key input is much more easy to do, but I cannot do it now.

1 Like

I found the input source code at:

Meshtastic-device/src/input/RotaryEncoderInterruptBase.cpp

But not sure where I can make changes to add simple button input.

I will try rewiring and will try a different rotary encoder brand, maybe it’s the missing pull up resistors.

What about this: I create a new branch, and code all the changes for the simple button input. You can test that branch, if everything fits, we can publish that to the main codebase.
(We might want to discuss the details in Discord tho.)

2 Likes

Hi @prampec That works I can test :slight_smile:

@Spor7biker I think you’re talking about the idea I posted before.

It will be really useful in case of weak signals. Lesser bytes = better transmission success.

count me in on this one too! :wink:

Should this be a hard-wired list of common phrases or something configurable?

The problem with the first one is to agree in the list of a common phrases. Also there must be some way to translate these phrases.
The problem with to second one is how to synchronize lookup dictionaries over devices. But in the second case I could imagine a configuration, where Canned Message plugin sends #NN codes instead of actual messages.

1 Like

I think we will keep a fixed list of phrases and also allow users to add custom ones.

As for the language, since we’ll be keeping the list in the phone, the message ID will remain the same but the message that appears on the phone will depend on the user’s language. This can be crowdsourced.

I mean if we’re discussing a “simple button input”, I think the simplest way is the easiest (but I fall wayy short on coding lol).
If users can input 10 or 12 characters phrases assigned to a button, that’ll cover the ability for ham and/or specific languages.

The buttons on these things have only so much life in them. I’d say it’s best to avoid typing using them.

Agreed. What I meant to say was to allow users to configure pre-canned messages. Just as we do now with the rotary, but limited to available pins. I’d be happy w/ just 1. :slight_smile:

I think 8 or so ‘hard coded’ messages with additional custom messages would be cool. Maybe throw in a software configuration option to start with the ‘hard coded’ or the user defined when selecting with the encoder.

Anyone have an idea of how much data storage is available on device? From what I remember I think some devices have additional SPI flash memory.

As far as I know all devices have some impressive amount flash memory. Certainly more than enough store some hundred of predefined messages.

New design available:

3 Likes

That is rather cool.

1 Like

Hi @prampec I trying to test the canned messages with a 3 simple buttons but only work the press button.
Where i can get your branch to test it?
The latest github version 1.3.5 should be work?

If work I 'll buy this type of button to use the canned message

Ok, I wass review the last firmware code 1.3.5 and saw that is implemented yet .
I downloaded the lasted meshtastic-python 1.3.alpha11 version and enable canned_message_module_allow_input_source: upDown1.

And it’s working, but the the meshtastic-python 1.3.alpha11 has a problem to set or get the canned messaged. I’ll open a issue in github.

1.3 is a new work in progress issues and pulls are pretty likely to be closed so be aware.

2 Likes