setCurrentLimit = 100 = an issue on 22dBm boards?

I may be stupid…but I see a setCurrentLimit setting that appears to be limiting PA current on any and all board we show up to 100ma.

This would preclude the emission of a 22dBm signal if I’m not mistaken? It would have to be 150mw…or even more if the PA has some loss involved.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I can tentatively confirm that 100ma is the wrong value for this board. Manual says it should be 140 for the 1262.

CurrentLimit was removed from RadioLib last year, so maybe redundant/unused?

I clearly see messages where we set the current limit in the debug output - I have modified my private code to have 140mA of current limiting.

It may not be a useful anything however.

I am troubleshooting piss poor performance with the RAK4631 with SX1262 chip. Generally I get 5-7dB signal even when the units are right next to each other, and approximately 400m of maximum range under any circumstances.

T-beam’s on the same frequency and using the same antennas (I move them between units) indicate 12db of signal.

I found this which seems to possibly describe the mechanism causing the issue as well:

I have analyzed radiolibs underlying behaviour and I believe that it is calling a function to fix Pa Clamping that should handle this when the radio hardware is called with lora.begin.

I also did testing of the change to 140mA current and it seemed to have a notable effect on the outcome. I got quite a bit more range out of the units. I’m not sure if its great at this point (1.5 miles was my max) but I’m still digging.

radiolib may set the current correctly for the 1262 and then we come back in our implementation of calling radiolib and force reset it to 100ma hobbling 1262 boards.

I will submit a git for this.

3 Likes