Second u.fl connector

Hi - can anyone tell me if this second u.fl connector on the ttgo t-beam is for the LoRa radio? Can I use this instead of the SMA connector?
Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 10.02.59 am

My guess is it is for the WiFi, and you like would need to move a 0 ohm resistor to use it instead of the on board antenna.

2 Likes

Ah, never mind. I desoldered the SMA connector and clocked it 90º. In the process I discovered there’s a u.fl pad under the SMA, so if you could always use that.

1 Like

I’ve been replacing the t-beam sma connector with a u.fl connector. This was easier than I expected because the sma connectors were only soldered at two points (the pins under the battery holder). None of the boards had the centre pins (antenna) soldered which seems a bit nuts. Can’t be great for transmit range.

Kels316, were your sma centre pins soldered.on your t-beams?

Eager to hear how you desolder that ‘sticking-out’ SMA connex?

I took the battery holder off, but heating all 5 SMA pins, without overheating the nearby components seemed risky. I did one using a solder blob on a big iron.

I don’t doubt you’ve got a better method.

BTW: I didn’t bother about another coax connex, just soldered the cable on.

The SMA connector was only soldered at 2 points so it was easy. I’ll post some photos. There’s enough flex in the battery holder to jam it away from the board while desoldering.

1 Like

I’d be interested in this too.