Reference Device

I wanted to start a conversation about creating a reference device.

This could be a Meshtastic branded device with features defined by the group that is the “guaranteed to work” type device that would sort be the consumer hardware.

Things I like for this:

-Waterproof/rugged case with rubber over mold (desert tan?)
-candy bar type format, or maybe round
-epaper display
-antenna connector with a molded included antenna
-takes 2 cr123s or something like an 18650. Wide power inputs accepted? maybe just the 18650 so you can charge it.
-gps with good antenna
-usb-c
-lanyard ring
-solar?

Maybe base it off the rak stuff?

Thoughts?

2 Likes

The RAK4631 platform seems to be really promising. Small form factor, charging (even solar) onboard, low power bluetooth. Only thing missing is a custom baseboard and a custom waterproof case. Their WisBlock concept is great but a bit expensive. I don’t know if you can buy the RAK4630 trx module by itself, this would eliminate the fine pitch connector which is hard to solder by hand. Maybe it would be better to buy a nrf breakout board and a separate trx module?
I am currently using meshtastic with two t-beams, their form factor is quite clunky but the WiFi feature is pretty handy. My only gripe is the bluetooth power saving mode, you have to remember to wake the device, and then it can take quite some time until you are able to send a message. Not very user friendly, especially for the not so tech savvy folks. This is where the nrf platforms really shines, bluetooth can be permanently enabled since it’s very low power. Also the solar feature could be pretty nice for meshtatic-throwie-repeaters with solar cells.

Maybe it would also be nice to add an i2c magnetometer to the list for direction finding and a little bit more sophisticated navigation features (custom waypoints perhaps? to make it more stand-alone in case of flat cell phone battery).
The OLED-readablity in direct sunlight is somewhat abysmal, but epapers need some kind of active illumination for in the dark.
Just my 2 cents

1 Like

I am techy enough that I don’t have a problem with the standard hardware that people use. I can 3dprint cases and stuff like that. But some of the people I want to integrate with aren’t that way. I would love to have an option to pick up a couple radios for people who aren’t techy to use for short excursions. Hunting and hiking. I think the gotenna platform really shines in this regard because of how sleek the hardware is. It has plenty of other problems and I would prefer to use meshtastic so don’t get me wrong about gotenna.

Important features from my perspective:
-Tough, “weatherproof” case (rain and snow)

• Lanyard or caribiner loop for attaching to pack
    -USBC to charge
    -Easily removable 18650 battery for fast universal swaps
    -Reliable GPS
    -Multi-day battery life with moderate use (I mostly use samsung 30q 18650 which are 3000mah)
    -Simple pair and message setup, Ideally no sleep (nrf to accomplish this I asssume)

Other features like solar just seem to convolute the simple nature. Since it can be usb charged it can be recharged off a powerbank for extended operation.

Some of the problems that I see are the case and the pricepoint. You’d have to injection mold the case to get the rugged, water resistant or waterproof seals. That means quite a bit of upfront production cost. Can this be produced and sold with a decent profit for $60-80?

Thats the issue I’m having as well - you can’t operationalize when the hardware is so random.

I like the idea of supporting hardware thats strange for strange use cases - but the core functionality should be delivered by a device thats always gonna work, shrink wrapped and ready to go, and gets tested for full function every release.

1 Like

ESP32C3 would be a good option for the microcontroller because it has wifi, BLE, (as I understand it) uses the same core as the BL602 that is being ported currently, has lower power consumption than the original ESP32 and seems to be easier/cheaper to buy than the NRF52.

With the prices of parts and batteries right now 60-80 is the cost of parts. My dev wisblock kit cost $80.50 to build.

Product Source Qty Price
WisBlock Starter Kit W/ BLE and LoRA Rak 1 $32
WisBlock GNSS Location Module RAK1910 Rak 1 $20
WisBlock 3 Axis Acceleration Sensor RAK1904 Rak 1 $5
WisBlock OLED RAK1921 Rak 1 $8
RAKBox-B5 Transparent Enclosure Rak 1 $10
18650 Battery 18650 Battery Store 1 $5.50
Total $80.50

Very true. That said I like the RAK build quality (i’m having range issues right now but not sure if thats me or them).

I have SEVERAL dead LilyGo devices from poor build quality. Bad USB micro ports, other strange issues.

Other than range every RAK device I have used has been perfect.

I think another thing I’m not doing a good job of describing is my thoughts are that this not be a hobby grade device - it be a full integrated product ready to go. Battery, antenna, case, comes in a box already loaded with 100% functional firmware.

No assembly required, no quirks, reliable and stable outcome.

1 Like

Performance is quite a bit worse than the existing ESP32, RISC is cool but I don’t think ESP32C3 is the answer for Meshtastic, low power / sleep is just not in the same class as the nrf52

1 Like

Fully integrated product where you open it, charge and pair would definitely have a higher price point. Maybe $100-120? Much more than that and I don’t know what kind of market you’d have.

That being said I fully support this project! Not sure what I can do to help but I support it.

I did order the e-paper and 3 button add on for RAK to play with, but why all the e-ink interest, seems really bad on the T-ECHO.

Better device building / setup documentation would totally help those who are making their own or selling devices be more consistent.

Starting with the use cases seems to make sense

• Portable - Battery Powered
  • Temporary Waterproof Router Node
  • Powered Easy to Access Base Station
  • Solar Powered Node
  • Powered Hard to Access Base Station

I am pretty happy with Heltec and Lora32 as powered base station devices for ~ $40

I like the RAK devices for Solar powered router nodes, I have used TBeams for most of these things too and really am tired of their sleep behavior for a portable unit.

2 Likes

Take a look at Meshtastic DIY. There are checked LoRa-modules with common ESP32 boards. It got support in the latest release.

1 Like

hardware wish

the first thing I would like to see is a physical keyboard added to the t-beam via a cable, for example it could be a CardKB from M5stack.

ready-made device based on
M5Stack Core2 ESP32 IoT Development Kit
COM.LoRaWAN Module 915MHz (ASR6501) with antenna
COM.LoRaWAN Module 868MHz (ASR6501)
GPS Module with Internal & External Antenna (u-blox NEO-M8N)
M5STACK Faces II Bottom Board

• keyboard

M5Paper ESP32 Development Kit V1.1 (960X540, 4.7" eInk display, 235 ppi)
LoRaWAN UNIT 868MHz (ASR6501) with Antenna
LoRaWAN UNIT 470MHz (ASR6501) with Antenna
LoRaWAN UNIT 915MHz (ASR6501) with Antenna

I already made a prototype with the M5Stack Stamp

I have the other M5Paper and M5 CardKB also, but support for this have not been added or investigated

The physical keyboard is already used with the other project Ripple but this is not Open Sourced (M5 Card and Blackberry)

I used RFM96 and RA-01 Radio

For GPS i used a U-BLOX SAM-M8Q
1.3 and 0.96 OLed

LILYGO®TTGO T-Watch keyboard ESP32 LILYGO® TTGO T Watch Keyboard ESP32 Main Chip Programmable Watch Hardware And MINI Expansion Keyboard|Circuits| - AliExpress

will the mishastic support this ready-made device

no firmware support? or is there any difficulty with?

the e-paper chosen for the LilyGo Echo for example, is a 1.54 inch SPI screen, the library used does not support the 4.7" on the M5Paper

my idea was to try

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/NRF52840_Eval_Kit

and

yes that is the keyboard i mentioned, but it again has not been added to Meshtastic

I have M5Paper 1PCs and M5 CardKB 6PCs … :smiley:

There is a user in the discord working on CardKB support right now.

I also flash the CardKB with a Japanese layout PS/2 firmware some time ago to use on USB port

@garth thanks i will join the discord