Public Key Mismatch on first interaction

I have a T-Echo and a T3S3 - both were running perfect with that last tech preview. Now, after I updated to the latest 2.5.0 alpha, I had timing issues with my messages.

After a lot of back and forth, I finally managed to completely factory reset (overwrite flash) on both units, timing issues are now gone. Great!

The nodes see eache other just fine - and with the little green padlock. But as soon as one of the messages the other, I get a public key mismatch. (and padlock goes red)

I have tried deleting the nodes in the list on both devices, didn’t make a difference. I have tried resetting nodedb, also no change. I have tried resetting the app on both devices controlling the nodes, same thing still happens.

Since it worked just fine in the tech preview, and I am not seeing any one else but me having this problem, it’s not a general thing. Any idea what I can try to fix this?

1 Like

Your factory reset probably caused this

But all documentation says deleting the node will fix it, and it does not.

Factory resetting both nodes, means they are effectively seeing each for the first time. And still I get the error.

The database in the app is where the mismatch is stored, so you have to delete the node from the app after you do the factory reset.

I have done that. Even deleting the app and all settings completely. Same result.

I have also been having the same issue. Tried factory resetting both t-echo devices and deleting the nodes and reflashing. It appears to happen upon first interaction. But not when the nodes first see each other. Only upon messaging does the key appear as invalid.

Maybe this doesnt affect encryption between channels that are private but direct messages only.

Still havent found a fix but they appear to be working correctly otherwise.

What timing issues did you have? and how did you fix it?

One of my T-Echoes perpetually has the wrong date/time (4/8/2009).

Exactly what I am seeing. They are working on tracking the bug down :slight_smile:

1 Like

Messages would appear out of order, with timestamps in the past or future. So 15-25 seconds ahead or behind - nothing like years