Practical Range Test Results

Thanks Der_Bear have you tested the 30dBm E22-900T30D module?

Very nice testing. Thanks for sharing
What settings did you land on in PlatformIO to target the lolin32 board?

Finally the tests I needed, thanks for running these lora chip power tests.
What kind of Network Analyzer did you use “looks interesting”.

Good day colleagues.
Other boards like Lolin32 and Wemos lite are coming to me. The E-byte E22 module is also available. I plan to take measurements in the coming days.
Unfortunately, I have very little free time, because all creative events happen rather slowly.

1 Like

By moving my transmitter to the top of my garage I was able to go from 2 miles to 6. The signal now doesn’t need to go around a house, it only needs to punch through a few trees. We didn’t test the limits yet, perhaps this weekend. So, I’m quite satisfied. This is with the Heltec lora 32 v2 with the provided coil antenna at 915 Mhz.

Now I just need to find someone on the far side of Lake Mendota to host a radio.

1 Like

Dear colleagues, today I have done laboratory work with the Lolin32 module and the E-byte E22. We look at the photo. The module produces an honest 30dBm at 5V supply. The main condition is that the power supply and the power cable must provide a current of at least 1.5 Amperes. There must be no voltage drop on the cable.

5 Likes

Thank you very much for the work you put in testing the module.
I just got my ebyte E22 module waiting for the ESP32 to arrive if you have time I would appreciate a wiring diagram and how to configure the ebyte E22 in the firmware.

Today I tried to repeat measurements with the E-byte E22 400M30S module. Unexpectedly, the module did not see the firmware. Also, the firmware did not see the NiceRF module for 433M band. I opened both modules. They are made on the SX1268 chip. Could there be compatibility issues 1262 and 1268?

Excuse me, sir, do you know where to modify the transmit power?

Hello colleague.
There is no need to change the power anywhere. It cannot be changed much on the used blocks. The power cannot be increased because firmware settings and so is the maximum. The power can be changed very much with a step, using a more powerful module. Standard modules that are on the TTGO boards have an output level of about + 17dBm. From the python command, the power can be lowered. But it cannot be increased, because there are limitations of the chip itself. More powerful modules of the E-byte type have a power amplifier for transmitting and an amplifier for receiving on board. These are the best modules. But they are not supported in the official firmware. I think this is due to licensing restrictions in different countries. So that the authors and users do not have problems with the law and radio surveillance authorities.

In the morning I sat and watched as the life time wasted … My E22-400M30 module refused to work. Therefore, I made measurements of a couple more modules available at hand from Al-Tinker.
The RA-02 433MHz module is made on a 1278 chip. It showed a power of honest 16dBm.
The RA-01 module, on the 1268 chip, also refused to work.

Sorry for the quality of the photo of the measuring device. It is not well worth it, against the light.

I couldn’t sit and watch life pass me by. It makes me very sad. Time is running out forever!

I figured out how to make the E22 work.
I had a badly working module from NiceRF. (Very bad modules!) I removed the 1262 chip from it and soldered it into the E22 (the procedure is quite complicated for non-professionals).
The result made me and all my friends very happy!

32dBm = 1.58W

With my 3 colleagues, we carried out practical measurements in a very dirty city radio air.

Maximum point-to-point range - about 30 km

6 Likes

@Der_Bear I would love to see your wiring diagram for the Lolin32 → E22 module. I think we could make some really neat custom PCBs for this setup. I like the idea of making things somewhat modular with headers for optionally plugging in the OLED for instance.

I am working on this topic now. When the materials are ready, I will provide them.

3 Likes

I got 1-2 km of range using SX1276 on 433mhz with 4.0 dbi omni antennas, in a thick concrete dense city.

LongSlow, +20 dbm TX power.

I am really impressed with the results given how many buildings it punched through. One node was placed inside the house and the other one was mobile.

Can’t wait to test with SX1262 and some moxon antennas.

1 Like

I got two SX1262 T-Beams today. The range was… 100 meters.

I am not sure if the hardware is faulty if my antennas suck or the environment I am in simply favors 433 over 868.

Hello, could you recommend a cheap device for measuring the frequency and transmission power?

I, too, have been having issues with 1262 devices. I suspect something is still wrong with our implementation of 1262 code.

Which mode is used?
If you use longfast with a bandwith of 31,25kHz, you should first try another mode.
Because most t-beams do not have a tcxo as reference, a bandwidth of 31,25kHz can couse troubles.
LoRa mode needs tx and rx frequencies within 25% (7,8125kHz in longfast_mode) from each other to work within specifications.

I used LongSlow.

It’s an SX1262, and I think it does have a TCXO.

Are you using an SX1262?