Automated Range Testing?

Hello,

I would like to perform range testing to try out different hardware/antenna configurations. Is there some way to automate a system that will track and map signal strength as i drive around with a t-beam or two in/on my car, while calling back to a “base station” at my home?

I’m more of a hardware guy, so software already made or easy to modify would be the best route :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Using python and perhaps a Raspberry Pi you could set up a message to be sent out repeatedly every x minutes. This in turn could capture incoming messages and keep a log of the information available in the api.

I have been dragging my feet to learn something like Python, i guess this is a good project to start with haha.

I have the code to trigger on a received packet with gps coordinates and snr onto the onboard filesystem of the esp32 into a format that can be uploaded to an online heat map service. I stopped out of lack of time to finish it – ran into two device bugs. I think @geeksville will address one with the plugin architecture and the other bug may have to do with the radio library we use where the SNR is not always accurate.

The other end of the service would be another device that transmits every few seconds. That can be done with the python API today.

Once you’re done doing the survey, the file will be downloadable by accessing the device’s web server.

No ETA on completion, my lab has been taken apart and a remodel is (shock!) taking longer than expected, but it could be one of the plugins.

I think we’re over measuring with Lora’s range because that’s an easy quantify, but what I’m more interested in is the real world case of actual coverage in urban areas. A heat map will illustrate that.

9 Likes

This sounds like what I would need. Would this be logging transmissions in both directions?

I live in a rural area, but with lots of variations in elevation. At some point I would like to get a tower up (I’m a ham) and plop one of these devices up there and see how far out I can get, maybe link up with a friend or two across town (about 7 miles LoS). In the mean time I do have the benefit of being on top of one of these hills so i have a pretty good view of the horizon, especially from the roof of my shed, which has it’s roof line above my house.

Hmm, interesting question. I’m having trouble visualizing this.

In this scenario, we would have a base station that transmits a packet and a mobile device that transmits an acknowledgment. The mobile device would be walked or driven around to do the survey with the received snr along with the coordinates from the gps.

What data would the base station utilize for logging and analysis? How would it be used?

I was thinking of a system where the base station or fixed device will send out a “ping” on a timed interval. If the DUT (Device Under Test) receives this ping it will then reply with it’s location and signal report. Assuming it’s reply makes it back to the base device, it then will record the location of the DUT, along with it’s RX signal report, as well as the base stations signal report that it receives.

The data will be used by me, or anyone who want’s to experiment, to tinker with different antenna and packaging options. Examples would be a vehicle mounted antenna vs the stubby antenna it ships with just tossed on to the dash, or something more compact that can fit in a pocket or backpack, or even another fixed unit to measure how environmental conditions effect the signal performance.

In larger scenarios it could be good for mapping out areas where you might want to build a network of relays.

As I mentioned before, I am more of a hardware guy, so I have no idea what is involved with making something like that work on the software side, but I know enough where I can make things work sometimes :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dont know for certain, but I dont think GPS data is sent with every message. But you could have a script send a message with the Lat & Long from the remote device every x minutes or setup with a pushbutton to do it when your ready. The Base device could be configured to reply with the time perhaps as a simple way to know your messages are making it all the way home. A couple of RPis with minimal script and hardware.

2 Likes

Hi
I’m working on a python program to do something similar.
I haven’t figured out yet how to force an update on the GPS position, but if you send a packet with the ‘wantResponse=True’ you’ll get a response with the SNR (if in range) and don’t even need more hardware than the node itself.

3 Likes

i am looking for something this nature to do real world ranges test … what hardware i need ? or i upload python code to devices it self? …

as now i have to stop and send text message to see how far can i go …

Take a look at the range test module. No extra hardware needed.

thank you sir for reply , where to find this modules / use of it ?

is it the one say " Export Range Test " ? i was wonder about it too i got it data but kidda lost on how to translate it data to something easy to understand.