LoRa V1 router mode problem

Hi,
I’m new here and in the Meshtastic world. Trying to setup Meshtastic relay/ router. Have two nodes working very well on androind phones. When I try to setup third device as relay/router it works ok for few mins and then it goes to sleep and won’t wake up unless I press button on the board.
All three meshtastic devices ar LoRa V1 with tlora-v1 1.2.43.a405d81 firmware.
I followed instruction on this website how to setup router mode using my PC.

Can someone help me to solve this problem.
Thanks!

what do you expect from router mode? what are you trying to do?
how exactly did you set the device as a router? meshtastic --set is_router true?

is the device using battery power or USB power? is there any difference in sleep behavior using one or the other?

A router sleeping is a good thing, that means it’ll last longer on batteries. While sleeping, the Lora radio will wake it up if there’s an incoming packet, so it won’t miss any messages.

Hi and thank you both for replay so fast.
Yes: meshtastic --set is_router true
I also I tried both options on batteries and USB.
On router/relay mode device going to sleep very quickly. In sleep mode totally missing all messages. It wake-up if I press button on device.
My idea is to do some kind of repeater. I order two devices which I want act as repeaters. Place one on the building roof other on the top of hill.
Sadly I can’t manage to setup them as repeaters.

Could you try again with the firmware released today? If you still have the same problem I’ll dig out my tlora v1 from the bin. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

it’s important to understand that even “sleep” doesn’t affect the device ability to send and receive LoRa packets.

router mode is intended for nodes in remote locations with no user interaction, that means we can save power keeping the OLED display and bluetooth always off (unless the user button is pressed).

its easy to confuse this behavior with sleep. what you really have to check is if your relay/router is sending and receiving packets after the screen turns off.

1 Like

Super! With new firmware and meshtastic --set is_router true it works. Going to sleep and when one of nodes send message router/relay OLED truns on and I can see message.
Sorry to be annoying, but how to make relay/router to be accessible for everyone how wants to use it.
At the moment I connect all 3 devices to the same channel (2 nodes and 1 relay).
To connect them l share QR code between devices. Then I disconnect modem/relay from the phone and it works. Going to sleep when there’s no activity on the channel and woke up when someone sends message.
I would like to do all my relays (there will be 2 of them ) open to everyone.
Thanks!

UPDATE:

Playing with all 3 devices at home. Time by time for test purposes sending from one or other node messages to channel. Nodes receiving messages fast. But now I see that relay/modem OLED not turning on any more. On relay/modem device actively blinking red LED and sometimes blue LED.
What is the way to check if modem/relay sending/receiving messages without pressing button on device?
By the way I test modem powering via USB at the moment.

Thanks for replay.

How I can do that?

you should see updates under its name on the other nodes

or a better practical test (but harder to execute)
if you have device A, B and C
device A must be able to reach B but not C
A (or C) should still be able to receive messages from C (or A)

With relay updates( last time active and signal status) kind of tricky situation.
It shows something like 80 mins or more. (It doesn’t matter if I send and receive message from node A and B).

I’m not sure if it’s true or meshtastic app remembers relay A and relay B time and signal status from before.

One test relay (relay A) is in my car at the moment. Car is located on the street (around 200m. away).
I can see car from my apartment windows (there’s few obstacles).
One relay (relay B) is in apartment and two other nodes connected to the phones is in the apartment as well .
When I do test I take node A with me and send messages to node B which is always in same location in the apartment.
When I do that I can’t see that on relay A or relay B time status update changes.
I’m checking it on node A or node B meshtastic app.
I can see signal strength of relay A or relay B. when I physically press button on node A or node B.
For example relay A signal strength is 55% at the moment. Relay B 100% ( I checked this using node A device by pressing and scrolling thought device).

I done other test today. I pressed button of relay A (which is located in my car)
and then instantly I can see that on meshtastic app of node A and node B
relay A time and signal been updated.

So this is kind of very confusing to be sure if relays working. If they receive and forward message.

Thanks!