Lightweight "User" App

I would like to write a easy lightweight android app based on java for “simple users” who only wants to send / receive messages and maybe find another person …

Is there such a client already in implementation ? Is anyone interested to work on the project ? Does anyone have a good start (maybe a Java API implementation / documentation ?

Thank you very much for your reply.

1 Like

There is one written in Kotlin available for Android. It used to be available on Google Play Store, but due to new(ish) policies being enforced, it is currently available from the Amazon app store and directly off of Github for now.

Does it meet your needs?

1 Like

thanks, I know the meshtastic app for Android based on Kotlin. I can build and run it here on my systems.
I have some ideas to improve the app - but unfortunately I’m not so familiar with Kotlin, so I’m thinking about implementing a new app (that I could contribute) “from scratch” based on Java

1 Like

I can’t wait to test and try your futur app. Good luck in programming it.

1 Like

a description of the bluetooth communication (data format) would be realy helpfull … is there such a thing ?

1 Like

Check out the new docs: Bluetooth/serial/TCP protocol API | Meshtastic
Basically the same protobuf-structures are used across all protocols (serial, ble…).
If you’re not familiar with protocol buffers, it is a method to serialize structured data to a binary format. So, the data from/to a device is transmitted in binary protobufs over a bluetooth characteristic.

There are definitely some protocol buffer tools and libraries available for java.

1 Like

I am also more familiar with Java (on the desktop) than Kotlin, but Kotlin is fairly easily understandable for a Java developer. Perhaps something similar to the (unofficial) Go library may be useful. If you go down this route, I’d be interested in helping a little bit – mostly from the desktop J2SE side instead of Android Java.

1 Like

I think it is great if you want to do that. But for a java developer learning kotlin usually takes less than a week of working with a new codebase and reading the language tutorial.

(Also it is kinda the official future for Android, so a fun/useful skill to learn)

2 Likes

You are right - it should be much easier to get familiar with Kotlin instead of rewriting the whole communication part in another language. I see an additional plus on the Java side to open Meshtastic to new use cases that don’t exist on Android (e.g., pairing readers for submetering)

I can’t invest that much time - I’m still doing spikes to get a feel for the effort …

1 Like

sounds good - though Kotlin runs on any JVM (so anywhere Java works it works) or on Javascript or on native. So when you have time you might see about splitting out a “JVM Meshtastic API” layer as a refactored lib (which could then be used on android or other JVM platforms).

1 Like

I was so excited to build my LoRa radios. Then so bummed that the app wasn’t in the Google app store. Then again excited when I discovered this forum and that I could install the app from the Amazon app store. Finally, a purpose for all the ancient Kindle tablets that litter my house!

Thank you for pointing out the app is still on the Amazon app store. I was able to update the firmware (although it was quirky and slow to offer to do so) and it let me discover the fun. I was so close to abandoning this tepid step into electronics and retreating back to video games but being able to send infrastructure free messages was so neat i’m now working on printing and laser cutting cases and dreaming of solar powered relays and “you are summoned” buzzers so my kids can’t escape my grasp.

I honestly don’t know why this product isn’t packaged and sold ready to use complete with a physical keyboard. I hope Peter Misekno’s Armageddon Communicator takes off (look it up!) - i’m ready to throw my wallet at him. But for the time being I get to learn all this new stuff about the world of LoRa, all the soldering and software and things this really supportive community are working on and that might just be more than half the fun. Thank you everyone.

3 Likes