Issue with CLI after router mode set

Hi everyone. New to Meshtastic here, and have a few questions. I have set up one of the Heltec devices I have to be a router, using the CLI. I set the region, then set the role to ROUTER. After it rebooted, I can no longer run any of the cli commands. It no longer responds. However it appears to work, shows up in the mesh and the screen turns on when I press a button briefly. Is this expected behavior, or did I miss a step? I would think that not having the ability to configure it anymore would be undesirable.

My second question is more on the functionality of the router mode. I haven’t been able to find a definitive answer through searches. With this router left as default with only the one channel, will it relay private conversations and other channels that it specifically doesn’t have the keys to? My guess is yes, but I don’t know for sure.

Appreciate the help everyone, and look forward to the future of Meshtastic!

When using the ROUTER role, it tries to go to sleep when it can. You can use ROUTER_CLIENT if you still want to configure it.

For the other question, see Device Configuration | Meshtastic and Device Configuration | Meshtastic. By default all roles will relay encrypted messages as well (providing you use the same LoRa settings).

Thank you! That was extremely helpful. I saw that ROUTER role disabled WiFi and BLE, but it didn’t mention shutting off the USB as well.