I'm clearly in over my head. Am I allowed to sell my t beams here?

So this is proving to be more than I wanted to tackle. I thought I could just pop the things out of the box, sync with my phone, and be up and running. Didn’t realize there was soldering involved, and I’m afraid I’m going to ruin them.

I would like to just sell what I have. I have two T Beams with batteries and an Amazon Fire 7 tablet. Would it be okay if I just list that stuff for sale and save someone the three month wait?

1 Like

If you’d cover shipping both ways, I’ll happily solder it for you.

4 Likes

It would be difficult to ruin them as you are just soldering pads and pins. Just don’t hold the iron on the pins for more than 10s at a time and if you need to, let it cool down before trying again. What kind of soldering iron do you have?

You can also use them without a screen. Bluetooth pin can be found using a serial terminal, see step 10 https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-device#installing-from-a-gui---windows-and-mac

2 Likes

Don’t worry, even if you heat the pins 30 to 60 seconds, there will probably be no damage to the board.

Just try doing it and you will see how easy it actually is :slight_smile: :blush:

2 Likes

If it can arrive in San Francisco before 9/22 (we’re moving to Taiwan soonish after that), I’m also happy to solder them and I’ll throw a couple of 3d printed cases in the return box (please include a return shipping label inside the box). a small USPS first class box should be about $8 each way

(but yeah - if you wanna sell em here fine with me)

1 Like

Does anyone have an assembly video? Maybe this would help those starting out!

2 Likes

Take a close look at 8:28, Andreas is showing how he soldered the pins directly or did a cross wire for another panel because the pins are in a different order on that screen. As you see soldering does not have to be perfect :wink:

I initially used a 4 pin header like in the clip below and plugged the screen into that. Downside of that is you need a bigger box and the header takes a bit of care to unsolder.

1 Like

I used my highest wattage soldering iron because it’s the one I found first. Probably 30-45w? Got it plenty hot with no issues. I even put a pin header on the wrong spot, unsoldered it, and resoldered it in the correct spot with no problems.

I’ve been intending to do a quick video to show/help people because I’m no professional but I get good results. Well, it works when I’m done. Haha

2 Likes

I encourage you to try soldering yourself, but if you’d still like to sell them I’m happy to buy!

1 Like

I very much appreciate all your generous offers. This is just more than I can chew at the moment, and I suspect that I might come up against other barriers besides just the soldering.

I will definitely keep an eye on this technology though. When it’s ready for people like me to plug and play, I can’t wait to try it out. I think this could really turn into something big.

1 Like

@okie, you can use these without using the screens. I have only soldered the screen on 1 of mine until I decide on a case for them. Im using the other 3 without.

If you plug the TBeam into your phones USB using an OTG cable, it launches the Meshtastic App without using bluetooth.

Or open a terminal using Putty and listen to the serial port, it will display the bluetooth pin required for pairing in there. Once its paired, it will just connect with your phone automatically. I just drilled a hole in the plastic case they came in and attached the antena. It keeps it protected until I make the final enclosure

Did you end up selling them?