Howto easy create a relay/router node?

hi, today was come my router board, i’found in the firmeware.zip ESP32 without GPS. where i’can found all settings for a router/relay? or i’have to upload this *.ufs file … but how i’do this at my linux console?

is there some FAQ what describe to prepare a router/relay, step by step?

second, should this router/relay over wifi have internet connection?

thx for help

No need for the router to have an internet connection.

For now (this will get better in the future) the only way to tell a node it is a dedicated router is to install meshtastic-python (see the readme on GitHub). Then run “meshtastic --set is_router true”. The node will then remember that setting.

So, here i’was create a smal script what will set all parameters, for a node, if you was flash the latest firmeware. fell free to optimize, if i’was do something wrong. you have to modify with your location and ownername.

#/bin/sh
clear
echo “Set all Router Parameter”
meshtastic --setowner KR-Relay
meshtastic --settime
meshtastic --set is_low_power false
meshtastic --setchan tx_power 100
meshtastic --set position_broadcast_secs 300
meshtastic --set is_router true
meshtastic --setlat 25.1 --setlon 11.4 --setalt 120
meshtastic --info

2 Likes

Two recommendations:

Remove the is_low_power and the tx_power_lines.

Is_low_power defaults to false and very few people ever need to set that to true.

Tx_power defaults to the max power your radio can do for your region and be guaranteed to not burn itself up. I’d recommend not changing from that default of zero.

Otherwise looks great

1 Like

Hmm. Also for a router better to leave it broadcast position with the default rate (i.e. leave it zero). A router doesn’t move and should not waste airtime sending it’s position repeatedly.

The default for routers is to only send every few hours (or if a new node joins the mesh)

ok so here all steps, based on linux console, but maybe at mac console, it work the same.

First, flash your Device with the right and latest Firmeware, in my case it is a Heltec ESP32

./device-install.sh -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -f firmware-heltec-EU865-1.1.32.bin

Now create the script and modify the paramter “owner” and GPS position
set it to chmod 777
and fire it up!

1 Like

Remove broadcast_position_secs and I think it will be perfect.

1 Like

DONE! :wink: Maybe later, if it work! there will set also parameter for a MQTT server. And Wifi, connection!

1 Like

This doesn’t work for me using FW V1.2.10.
I get:

(base) MBP-5792:~ alport$ meshtastic --port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART --setowner KR-Relay
Connected to radio
Setting device owner to KR-Relay
Exception while handling connection: ‘SerialInterface’ object has no attribute ‘setOwner’

1 Like

Hmm. In the 1.2 cleanup I probably moved that and didn’t notice. Can you open a bug on meshtastic-python and link to this thread? I’ll fix it early next week of no one fixes it first.

But btw that option isn’t required to be a router node. Just “–set is_router true” is sufficient.

never mind. I just checked. That bug is already fixed, but no new build of meshtastic-python coming out until I get back from vacation. But I’ll spit out a build next weekend.

Thanks @geeksville - will look out for it.

Here a update for version 1.2.10 using the Heltec Board
My Node is now Solar powerd and i’m using a commercial vertical Lora Antenna

#/bin/sh
clear
echo “Set all Router Parameter”
meshtastic --setowner OMR # Open Meshtastic Router
meshtastic --set region 3
meshtastic --settime
meshtastic --set is_low_power false
meshtastic --set position_broadcast_secs 600
meshtastic --set screen_on_secs 120
meshtastic --set fixed_position true
meshtastic --set location_share 1
meshtastic --set gps_operation 4
meshtastic --set is_router true
meshtastic --setlat 25.1 --setlon 11.4 --setalt 120
#meshtastic --set wifi_ap_mode false --set wifi_ssid “xxxxxx” --set wifi_password “xxxxxxx”

meshtastic --info

To much Energie, but it was the staff what was in my box and dont use … now it powered the router. The next step is to build a fixed hiden router in the mountains around 80km from here, if i‘have found a solution for updates … the lora connection between this 2 routers is no problem, i was test this …

3 Likes

They looks great. Three notes for others:

• “Psk random” will assign a new channel key - so if you use this option make sure to share the channel url with anyone you want to have access.

• All of these options can be listed together on one command line if you want.

• Turn off wifi if you are trying to save power.

1 Like

PSK Random, hm … may i‘was understand something wrong in the documentation. i‘will take it out and use the default … it should be a open router for everyone useable … what is in range

1 Like

Hello xhabit,
I´, struggeling to find the documentation about all the values you used, e.g. set location_share 4 …
Do you have a link where to find an overview?

you can found all parameter here:

Meshtastic Parameter Guide

1 Like

In particular radioconfig.userpreferences and channel settings.

Thanks a lot!!!

1 Like