How to send reliable messages with the python api?

I’ve been doing some repeater testing and wanted to see if my results are expected, or if others have suggestions as to why I am not getting the results I would expect.

Scenario 1 (Control)
Using the python API, I’m broadcasting 10 second timestamp messages directly to a t-beam (v1.1.4) connected to a directional antenna. I can reliably receive the timestamp broadcasts at 1-2km, and even 4-5km in some places. The directional antenna is rooftop height.

Scenario 2 (test)
However, when I send the timestamp broadcasts from a different t-beam near the one connected to the directional antenna, the “middle” t-beam that is still connected to the directional antenna doesn’t seem to broadcasts/relay the messages it receives. Instead, I receive messages at about 1km total, which is close to what I get with the standard antenna attached to the t-beam. (Discovered through previous tests)

Expected
I was hoping the t-beam connected would still be relaying the messages it receives.

Is there something I should sending in the messages to make sure they ‘hop’?

1 Like

Yep. If you are using the python API, the default is to not request reliable messages. to send a reliable message do something like:

interface.sendText("hi bob", wantAck=True)
1 Like

ooh - I just re-read your message and I think I misunderstood. Even if wantAck=False other nodes should forward broadcast messages for you. (Though delivery is not guaranteed in that case)