Heltec sleep mode with added GPS module

Three end points using Heltec esp32 Lora V2.1, two have added hardware GPS modules. These two end points do not enter sleep mode when on battery. The unit without his does.
Is this a normal operation, I would like them to sleep to save battery only waking up on incoming message.
Cheers and thanks,
Bill

Still struggling with this. If I disconnect the tx-pin 37 from the gps module, the Heltec board will sleep and then eventually go into a deep sleep and not wake up, phone connection is also lost. Pressing pgm button wakes it up, Meshtastic logo, and the process starts again.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Are you sure you are hitting the program button and not reset? The logo should only show when booting.

Thanks for your reply. I’m definitely pushing the pgm button.
Heltec lora v2.1

No led indication that the Heltec unit is awake.

Without the gps module attached, all three end points work well.
Direct attachment from GPS to Heltec, no other components on that signal path.
Cheers

Try another power supply, the heltec is sensitive to low power, depending on settings I would not expect much sleep with a gps.

Thanks for trying.
The units must run on battery power.

Even with the GPS module unit on separate power, the issue persists.
Expected GPS data is normal.

With only the TX from the gps module to the Rx of the Heltec, after an expected period time, the unit will entre sleep mode. After another period of time, the Heltec will “turn off”. Selecting the pgm button appears to reboot the Heltec.

With the GPS powered up, and the Rx disconnected, the Heltec works perfectly.
This occurs the same on all three units.

So is there an issue with the data stream expected by the Heltec, do we need a pull up or down resister in the signal path?
The GPS module is the blox 7M.

Cheers and thanks for any help.
Bill

The charging circuit is not great on the Lora32 or heltec. That gps is not well tested.

Ok, thanks for trying, I’ll try a few things.
Cheers,
Bill

Ok so here is what I have discovered;

In the Android app under Advanced Settings, selecting Is_always_powered
allows the units to work.

Unfortunately the display is always on consuming battery power.
The units are on battery only.

So maybe the developers can have a look at the sketch for the Heltec esp32 Lora v2.1 and see if there is an issue with the sleep routine.
I’m willing to try out any sketch that might solve the issue.
Cheers,
Bill

That setting was added for solar with the heltec or tlora, they don’t have an advanced power management chip like the tbeam so sleep is pretty problematic.