Ham Radio Version

Ok, this only work with Python client not Android client.

1 Like

(though you can set it with the python client and then use the android app for messaging and map and it will still respect/preserve that choice)

I got this error
Can’t set psk due to Cannot set ChannelSettings.psk to ‘’: ‘’ has type <class ‘str’>, but expected one of: (<class ‘bytes’>,)

1 Like

but when I run --info, I got this
channel_settings {
psk: “\001”
}
Not sure if that mean encryption is already disabled.

Also, on the US armature band on 433Mhz, there is a 100Khz max bandwidth limits. I’ll looking through all the codes and trying to figure out where to set bandwidth limits and maybe a pull request on a US Ham Band plan?

oooh! that sounds not right! Would you mind opening a bug on meshtastic-python and I (or one of the other devs?) will investigate in the next couple of days.

oh that sounds great, see the regions[] table in RadioInterface.cpp. Also this would be where any region specific power limits are listed. We also might want to consider making a bool for “isHam” so we could have some regions that by default are not shown to users. If a user enters a ham ID into some text box in the app, we would let them choose from the larger list and on HAM bands automatically turn off enc and use the users ham ID as the node id.

1 Like

actually nevermind. I was in there just now for other reasons and fixed it:

2 questions:

1. Did you correct the error?
  2. What is the command format?
    –setowner KIXXXX - is’t KI (1234, etc) or is’t Ham call “KI1ABC” - I did not quite understand.
    –setchan psk “” - Does this command turn off encryption completely?

Sorry if question 2 is a silly question, but I didn’t get it. :thinking:
Thank’s!

–setowner whateveryourcallsignish --setchan psk none (I added “none” later to make things even clearer, though “” is identical)

yes - this turns off encryption completely.

But even later I added “–setham yourid”, which is shorthand for these two options.

I’m the other (older) part of thepoweroftwo, also a ham.
Some days ago I came across the idea to use a meshtastic device as APRS tracker. For a proof of concept I have written a quick and dirty python script
which takes the position packetes from the meshtastic device, converts it into KISS packets and sends it out over my rig on the APRS frequency.
The first test was successfull. For a better understanding please see the attached graphic.
For a real use as tracker it would be useful to have a function like smart beaconing. Perhaps I’m not the only one who is interested in using the meshtastic device this way. If you feel it makes sense, it would be nice if someone clould implement such a funtion in one of the next device firmware versions.

4 Likes

Btw one of the mini web apps I write once mqtt is available (and users can opt to use a “public” global channel for position and some texts): a bidirectional bridge between aprs and mqtt.

1 Like