Do nodes in a channel rebroadcast further than nodes not in that channel?

If the hops are set to 3 and you have 6 devices on the channel would it jump to all 6 if each one could only see one other? My reason for asking is for setting up a router network. I want to set up 8 routers. If I put them all in the same channel would my message broadcast to all devices along that network?

My understanding is a node will retransmit all packets it’s receives, as long as the hop limit allows, and retransmit is enabled. Even if it can’t decode them (it doesnt have the channel that created it)

Depends on the client type, if it will do the retransmit step (some have it disabled)

See also the rebroadcast mode setting

which gives a bit more granualr control.

Thats how I understood it as well. Just wanted to make sure I was correct. That means the network I want to build would be a waste of time. As even with the max of 7 a message would never make it from one end to the other.

See LoRa Configuration | Meshtastic.

Only when you have more than 9 nodes in a row where each one can only reach 1 (the edges) or 2 (middle ones), you cannot make it. The protocol tries to limit the amount of hops used automatically.
Since LoRa can have a range of many kilometers with line of sight, you still can reach a very large area.

I see so maybe try to get more distance and less routers. I’m trying to go 20 miles across a city in Florida. So line of sight is hard because I have no super high points. So i was trying to keep my distances short.

Well you can increase the Hop Limit on messages you send, if you know you have a ‘wide’ network, that needs lots of hops to transverse.

I do see lots of messages with 5/6 in the hop limit on messages recieved, so clearly people are experimenting with higher values.

The ‘default’ of 3, is mainly to stop too much propagation, when most networks won’t need higher.

But in general yes, aim for distance, rather than lots of small hops, will be a quicker and more ‘efficient’ mesh .

Sounds good and easier for me to maintain. I’ll have to do range testing to see what I can get. I have 11 people I’m trying to link together.

Also if this is true then there is zero reason to give a router any encryption keys for channels. If i understand it correctly.

Yes, that should be true. Also means that any other nodes in the area (either fixed or mobile) can do forwarding for you.
And your mesh can forward their messages too!

Yes that is also true. Just trying to make sense of all the videos I’ve watched on people setting them up. Some put their channels on the router. Wasn’t sure if they had a reason for it.

Would allow the express choice, if to forward all packets, or only ‘local’ mesh posts.

Also I guess simpler to setup if all nodes, just have the same channels, rather than trying to pick and choose (and means can use the node as a ‘client’ connected to a mobile - particularly for testing)

Also can be important to get the ‘admin’ channel correct if want remote admin. Would want to make sure transfer the admin channel correctly, so easier to just transfer all channels to it when setup.