Detection Sensor Config - Adding a second source

Hi,

The detection sensor works great - Just wondering if there is currently a way to add a second channel using the latest app or if not if you guys can add a second channel?

Thanks

1 Like

I agree to this. There should just be an ADD+ button somewhere to exhaust them all. Or at least 3 more :grin: I am a big user of ESPHOME and see that alot of sensors - even advanced units like mmWave sensors comes with a digital Out pin. I just think there are lots of scenarios where it is useful to have more than one pin available. The same goes about output, there should be many outputs to pull low and high out of the box.

This is a low bandwidth mesh, it monitors a single pin.

The detection sensor module is designed to work from a single pin and produce output graphs like these.

It uses its own port, everything other than nodeinfo goes over the primary channel.

There is plenty of other scenarios where more exposed pins detecting either high/low inputs would be very useful. One example is if you really need to verify a critical breach of some kind, so that only when both GPIOs have reported, action must be taken. There may also be useful to have multifunctionality with severale GPIOs available. Light sensor + motion + reed.

Not sure if he really mean channels or GPIOs, but I read it as GPIOs.

There could be more pins exposed with their own friendly name sent out.

You can go crazy with remote hardware or a external MCU managing a bunch of sensors, the detection sensor module is for one pin.

The scenario I described here is real, especially for a thing often located far away, which I thought was the point of LoRa. Why insisting on it to be only one? There is like 20 others GPIOS on the ESP32 just waiting to do something, and there is very little changes in code and really no conflicts in doing this. This could matbr only be available when putting the node in role of sensor.

Have a look at the Remote Hardware Module, maybe that suffices for your use case. It allows for control over multiple GPIOs, but is a bit less user friendly.

That looks nice, but limited to use with CLI and Python. On the other hand it is even more powerful since one can read and set GPIO. I am sure I could make it work in Home Assistant which is heavily made around Python and scripting. But it is also important that changes in GPIO gets reported when it happens and that the reporting makes sense through JSON MQTT. How JSON is spat out from DetectionSensor after yesterdays updage is very good.

Really seems like the wide open remote hardware is what you want. It is much more complex, has no UX and seldomly gets used, which is why a bunch of complexity is not being added to the detection sensor module. There are not unlimited resources on a device.

Seldomly used because its a new feature that was hardly coded properly until yesterday(!) People everywhere in IoT is looking for easy to use LoRa for their remote sensors, and firstly now this is starting to be possible with Meshtastic.
Not looking for endless ways, but I am looking for at least one or two more exposes with their own Friendly Name and GPIO. When I present this setup to the HA community here in Norway, there is alot of good response, but until recently LoRa and Meshtastic has not been an option, but now it is and few knows about it. So it is strange to say anything about use-frequency on something that has hardly startet to emerge as an option. I may be wrong, but I think alot people here would look at this as an option to get metrics and sensor-response from far-away locations in a country with huge distances and lots of farm/fisheries and technology. Meshing out with wifi is not practical and very expensive in many situations.
Just a few more would be nice - just as an option. I dont know how Roles work in code, but I was thinking that the role of a Sensor would cut down on certain things, and add more sensor-exposes. I understand there are limitations, but still pushing for this :slight_smile:

He was talking about the Remote Hardware module which has been there for a long time. The Detection Sensor module is very new and MQTT with JSON isn’t essential for it to work.

Roles are run-time configurable, we don’t have separate firmware for different roles.

Remote hardware is years old. You have all the tools to do what you want.

i need something like this:

meshtastic --set detection_sensor.channel “admin”

its spamms channel “0”

It has to be enabled on the devices that get the messages, there is no spam.

You have detection sensor enabled on that node right? That is the expected behavior. If it shows up without being enabled you need to update your firmware.