Connecting on MacOS 11.6.3

My MBP seems to get confused with some default installation of Python 2.7 and the version of 3.9 that I installed with Pip3.

I am trying to run run Meshtastic at all, and keep hitting walls.

I have:

• Python 3.9 installed, but also python 2.7 by default so there is confusion there, so any subsequent path entries would also be helpful
  • Pip3 installed
  • Drivers for the chipset showing the proper device in the hardware section
  • Trying to install Meshtastic, I get this (Lacking write permission to ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages/meshtastic-1.2.82.dist-info/’.)
  • When I connect through terminal screen, I can see that it is connected, but it is mostly little question marks in boxes
  • updated to the latest version of Meshtastic Beta (not the Alpha) from yesterday (13 Feb, 2022) using the Gui Updater on Mac
  • In the iOS app, I can connect and see them both via bluetooth
  • my Android device is an old tablet running 5.01, and is terrible to work with. It just wants me to set a (location?) and has 2 options - none or Meshtastic something, and does nothing after I choose either one.

Can someone post a complete set of instructions for connecting with a Mac?

I would like to connect with Meshtastic Gui to get my units running, or preferably, turn on the web portal for at least one unit, and connect to it that way to start some testing.

One last thing - I tried soldering the displays, and I am sure that I messed that up. The solder pads are so small, and my solder wire was too big, and my eyes too old. I removed the displays since they did not come on. I’ll get those done by my younger buddy who has some very thin solder, and eyes which are 25 years younger.

I am looking to do this for my Search and Rescue team as most of our searches are out of mobile service, and although we have mototrbo radios, it would be good for us to know where everyone is, not just the command centre.

Thanks for anyone who helps.

if you are able to install the gui flasher the install process is near identical. are you following this guide? Meshtastic-python installation | Meshtastic

Thanks for responding.

To answer your questions:

• Python 3.9.10
  • pip 22.0.3 from /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pip (python 3.9)

After I try this command…

I get this response

Requirement already satisfied: meshtastic in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (1.2.82)

Collecting meshtastic

Using cached meshtastic-1.2.83-py3-none-any.whl (70 kB)

Requirement already satisfied: tabulate>=0.8.9 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from meshtastic) (0.8.9)

Requirement already satisfied: pyserial>=3.4 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from meshtastic) (3.5)

Requirement already satisfied: pypubsub>=4.0.3 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from meshtastic) (4.0.3)

Requirement already satisfied: pexpect>=4.6.0 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from meshtastic) (4.8.0)

Requirement already satisfied: protobuf>=3.13.0 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from meshtastic) (3.19.4)

Requirement already satisfied: timeago>=1.0.15 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from meshtastic) (1.0.15)

Requirement already satisfied: dotmap>=1.3.14 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from meshtastic) (1.3.26)

Requirement already satisfied: pyqrcode>=1.2.1 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from meshtastic) (1.2.1)

Requirement already satisfied: pyyaml in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from meshtastic) (6.0)

Requirement already satisfied: ptyprocess>=0.5 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from pexpect>=4.6.0->meshtastic) (0.7.0)

Installing collected packages: meshtastic

Attempting uninstall: meshtastic

Found existing installation: meshtastic 1.2.82

Uninstalling meshtastic-1.2.82:

ERROR: Could not install packages due to an OSError: Cannot move the non-empty directory ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages/meshtastic-1.2.82.dist-info/’: Lacking write permission to ‘/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages/meshtastic-1.2.82.dist-info/’.

The error text is in bold, so I ran it with Sudo, and that worked.

Now on to try the Meshtastic GUI. I am using these commands:

pip install --upgrade meshtastic-pygui

Then the command:

meshtashtic_pygui

and I get this:

zsh: command not found: meshtashtic_pygui

(post deleted by author)

ccc,

That worked, and thanks!

While I have the GUI up and running, it is still hanging on my ports with this error:

Warning: Multiple serial ports were detected so one serial port must be specified with the '--port'.
  Ports detected:['/dev/cu.usbmodem533B0155471', '/dev/cu.wchusbserial533B0155471']

I tried to fix that issue by following the installation of the drivers again, and now I am back to meshtastic-pygui not even loading.

@zebus the Mac WCH serial port driver reports two ports, for Meshtastic-flasher we always select the second one.

Well now I see that Python is running, but none of the pyGUI windows are open like they were before I tried to update the drivers.

@garth - yes that works for the GUI flasher, and I can force the port for Meshtastic, but I can’t seem to force the port for Meshtastic_PyGui.

Isn’t the command “meshtastic-flasher”?

@kokroo, 2 things are in the mix here. For me, Meshtastic-flasher is working fine because it always chooses the second recognized port, which @garth had brought up a couple of posts ahead of yours. I am still having issues even getting the PyGUI up and running, let alone forcing it to use the proper device.

So I am stuck at the point where Python is running, but none of the PyGUI windows are showing up on my desktop, which is weird.

Any help is appreciated.

get your serial devices with:
ls -l /dev/cu.*
ther you see then all your serial devices, as also the one you need

/dev/cu.usbmodem533B0155471
or
/dev/cu.wchusbserial533B0155471

try:

meshtastic --nodes --port /dev/cu.usbmodem533B0155471
meshtastic --nodes --port /dev/cu.wchusbserial533B0155471

same with --info instead of nodes

as you have now two interfaces you need to tell meshtastic cli always which one to use with
–port
option, as the error message already is saying
BR
Rainer

@rainer, I can connect to Meshtastic CLI and issue commands without issues already. I can’t connect to Meshtastic PyGUI, and get the actual GUI.

I would use the flasher Using Meshtastic Flasher | Meshtastic it has settings UI now, and the PyGUI has not been updated to manage the WCH serial drivers.

@garth - yes, that works, as well as answers a question of mine regarding rollout with the save and load functions.

Thanks!!!