Channels sharing does not work ( 404 error)

Hello,

How to get the same channel on 2 devices? I tried to copy link but it does not work and I got 404 error.

1 Like

Welcome @ddv2005!

Channel sharing should work the way you mentioned. Android should recognize the link as a Meshtastic specific link, open the app for you, and the app should configure the channel for you.

Please, check you have the newest version of the app, or at least the same version of the app, on both phones, and try to share the link trough some other app. You should be able to select the link as a hyperlink. I’m not sure whether browsers do recognize the link or not.

If the problems remain, send a report by selecting Report bug button, closing the app, and reopening the app (to make sure the report is sent).

hmm - do you have the android app installed on the second device? If not, then I would expect to see this error.

I had a heck of a time with that.
what I found was that you can’t copy and paste the link into a browser. you have to click on the link and then android will recognize it as a meshtastic link and open with the app. at least that is how it was on my pixel with firefox.

i have a habit of copy and pasting things.

1 Like

Thank you @radec for confirming browsers do not recognize those app specific links, if they are copied to the address bar.

@geeksville, there could be a short note for this on the app, or some other guidance?

1 Like

Thanks. I sent it by message and it works. Email works too. But Android Beam sharing method opens browser that not recognize link.

good find! In theory, this is the replacement for beam sharing. Hopefully they fix that bug. https://9to5google.com/2020/06/30/androids-nearby-sharing-feature-goes-official-rolling-out-now-in-beta/

great idea. Perhaps someone can add an entry here?

Eventually I think we should make the (non existent) help menu in the app open a “user guide” on this wiki