Can't send texts while device is sleeping (sometimes)

Hmm - when the device is sleeping in the android app does it show the “uparrow” icon for device status? While in that mode the android app should let you enter messages and the next time the device wakes (every few mins) it should send them.

It has it in the queue for delivery, but then fails/timeouts unless I physically wake the devices. I will work out the steps to see if I can make it reproducible. I have only had it for 48hours and been playing non stop with two nodes. My pup is soon going to get one so I can track her on walks in the woodlands, and maybe use a vibration module to call her back.

1 Like

I have 1.2.23 and 1.2.25 t-beam firmware and occasionally get this when I open up the app.

Here’s an example of it occurring. The app opens up, the radio is connected, but seems to have gone to sleep, but the text input for messages is inactive (i.e. I can’t even type a message into it), so I can’t use a message to wake the device up and seem to have to resort to getting it out of my backpack and pressing the Button to wake the device up. Once that is done, I can type in a message.

Here’s the state as seen in the app when that happens.

1 Like

Ok thanks I’ll look into this soon!

One factor I can add to this is taking the phone out of bluetooth range while both are in various sleep cycles.

That’s not the case with the situations I have encountered. It’s usually when I have the t-beam in my backpack and out doing range tests. Taking my phone out of my pocket I can see it was connected, but the phone is greyed out and the text message input box is uneditable.

I also had the same problem!
In my opinion it is created by putting bluetooth into energy saving mode.
I think it is better not to put the Bluetooth in energy saving, or make it as an option to be enabled in the application itself.
But this is my opinion, maybe it can be resolved differently. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have the same problem, after a few minutes the device goes to sleep (up arrow) and it is no longer normal again,if you don’t reset the button.In my case I use a lora32 t3 v1.6.1

I seem to be facing this problem on firmware .48alpha and app .50alpha, using TBeams and TLora2.1

When BT is sleeping, message will queue in the app, but will never send when BT wakes up. Sending another message when BT is awake, it will go through instantly, but the queued msgs are forever stuck in the app.

I am experiencing the exact same thing. Using same version as you. Queued message never gets sent.

1 Like

Same over here, messages lost the sleep mode is sometime “frustrating”
Personally i dont use BT i never did untill now with TTGo :wink:

1 Like

Queued messages while BT is sleeping is still stuck on latest firmware. Guess this is an app problem.

I have new T-beams and another misc unit off of etzy and it is so confusing figuring what is going on with each one. The etzy unit will not stay on with my 18650 battery pack and a usb solar panel, since the solar fluctuation causes the 18650 battery pack to act up and not stay on (found out voltaic makes battery pack specificially for usb solar that can handle the low and fluctuating input voltage and will stay on). The Tbeam charges and runs “fine” on the solar and the built in 18650 battery, but it goes to sleep and I have set sleep in the meshtastic android app advanced settings to the min 1 sec? I do not want it to sleep, at all for testing and/or if it is not going accept message or relay them when it wakes up. I am trying to test range, antennas, and other setup options so that I can get these spread around the community as a reliable fall back system, but they just refuse to stay up for one reason or another and when I head out to test range, they have gone to sleep or have some other issue.

reset your devices using the factory reset and stop applying random sleep settings. Your devices should not sleep with default settings.

1 Like

The “sleep” msg is not quite factual because the app says the unit is “sleeping” even if you turn phone bluetooth off. So let us skip the word sleep and just say bluetooth connectivity with the T-beams is very problematic. The Etsy Meshtastic device (not sure what unit it is exactly) does not have this issue. I am reading all sorts of lingering issues folks are having with the T-beams, seems to me it would be a great idea to steer people away from them and remove the links to them on the hardware pages?

App ver 1.6.1 or something similar had that no sleep thing as an option so I figured I’d give it a try, but it was by no means the beginning of my issues with the t-beams.

What android app version are you running?

Ive tried to communicate with it via bluetooth from several phones with the latest android to older android OS’s. One T-beams BLE is totally dead & not resurrecting. The other problem child only stays connected as long as BLE range is maintained, then the only way to reconnect is reset via CLI, which is aweful as it is remotely mounted. As i begin to read & understand more ive realized though the T-Beam may be asleep via bluetooth it will still talk to other units.

The one units Bluetooth is totally dead I suspect this happened having something to do with having to remove the bad screen that I was given but I don’t know and the second unit is now working I have no idea why but some combination of different things I learned online and from experience I would like to bring special attention to the fact that you may not have to do the CLI reset of the board with your computer to reconnect or repair the device via Bluetooth you can do it by hitting the program button the middle button on the t-beam twice wait for the two lights to flash then hit that button three more times in a row and that resets the blue tooth