Alpha tester thread (1.1.8 device code ready for alpha testing) 🙂

@geeksville 1.1.5 seems great for connection speed to the app - all joined and no need to go through the BT menu. I can text them all without issue although if the screen is asleep the text does not seem to wake it. I also notice that flashing new firmware does not completely remove all the code from previous versions. But my issue with the stabiltiy of the gps seems to remain - they do still indicate a fix and later show no sats. This fits with what I see in mapbox - devices appear and disappear.

1 Like

@geeksville Oops - sorry I should say I was still on app 1.1.02 - and on checking again the screens did wake up on receiving a text. Just switched to app 1.1.5 - they all woke up for texts received too.

1 Like

Will the app be updated to have firmware 1.1.5 or do we have to wait for app 1.1.6? I’m curious to see whether updating via app is more reliable now that I have 1.1.4 which I hope fixes the tbeam trying to go to sleep every time I try to update.

Device 1.1.4 also has the sleep problem. It is solved in device 1.1.5. To get that you need to fetch the zip file and install manually. Since the device FW is included in the app when it is compiled it will not update itself.

1 Like

I put my tbeam back up in the window so I’ll probably just wait until the next version is released so 1.1.5 is available in the app. I’m not near enough to my friends to need to use it anyways.

I had experienced that bug where I could only upgrade 1 board at a time from the app, too, a few versions back. I had to quit the app and reboot my Galaxy Note 8 between upgrading boards. I have been downloading the zip files to my windows PC and flashing through USB ever since.

Have you tried using an OTG cable with the phone? bypassing the bluetooth/sleep altogether?

Hmm. Sounds like we just have a bug in the software update that I should fix. I’d rather just fix that (having users randomly force-quitting probably creates more problems than it solves IMO). Would you mind putting a bug in on meshtastic-android?

There is a wireless update from the app, but I try to only include release firmware builds in the app bundle. Since this current tree is still alpha, I didn’t mean to be including it in the app at all. For alpha device releases you’ll currently need to install via USB.

1 Like

Google play rolls out new releases kinda slowly. For some users it may take up to a day or two to appear.

1 Like

Sure, i still think there should be a normal close button, and an option to autostart the app when the phone is restarted, but i have made a separate bug for that.

the app does start (at least the service + ble connection is) every time the phone is restarted. Though it does this two minutes after boot (to work around a bug in Samsung phones)

I’ve just noticed that in 1.1.4, the battery indicator in the second page of the app doesn’t update to AC power when the tbeam is plugged in. If not fixed in 1.1.5, it would be good to have it change from the battery icon to the ac power icon when plugged in.

1 Like

thanks for noticing - that was fixed in 1.1.5

That doesn’t seem to be the case, I put both my tbeams on 1.1.5 and they’ve been plugged in for 12 hours but both still show the battery icon in the app despite the battery percentage updating up to 100%

1 Like

ooh thanks - I’ll look today!

1 Like

The GPS doesn’t seem to update as well in 1.1.5 as in earlier versions. I can’t remember which earlier version it worked well in. Maybe 1.1.2 or maybe even earlier. I have several TBeams, and I just don’t see half as many markers show up on the map as I used to. I guess this is a battery life/GPS priority tradeoff. I can see the red gps LED blink without a marker appearing on the map. Is there a way to give higher priority to GPS updates, or is this a bug?

I’m currently using very long range but slow. Is there a table of expected range distances vs update rates for the various range settings?

You can modify the settings:

1 Like

I just tried the python script for the first time: “Exception: No Meshtastic devices detected”
This is in Windows 10 64, with a meshtastic device paired through the windows Bluetooth & other devices control panel. I installed Python and pip3 over a year ago, so they might be old.

This might be helpful: