Alpha tester thread (1.1.8 device code ready for alpha testing) šŸ™‚

I would like to be an alpha tester please.
Cheers,
Mike

It seems that the phone disconnect and reconnect bluetooth every 30 sec, that must drain the radio battery

I think it could be valuable to display bluetooth connection in this debug panel.
+ And for message that the phone is sending to the devices

Next android release will fix the issue of not having all the detail displayed for each received message

1 Like

Hi @Chunkybug,

If you go to

And scroll down, you will find the links to sign up

Lots of changes in this alpha release. Alpha tester geeks if you could try this and report back that would be great.

Major changes

• @mc-hamster added Wifi support. If enabled by setting the access point name and password, the API port will be exposed on a TCP port 4403. Also there is an HTTP server embedded into the device.
  • @mc-hamster added a HTML UI
  • Much lower power consumption for all boards, but particularly boards with GPSes
  • SX1262 code had a bug that could cause sleep to hang (and enormous power draws)
  • Substantial cleanup of the GPS codebases
  • Add support for router mode (enable with ā€œmeshtastic --set-routerā€). Currently lowers power consumption even more than normal and ensures the devices will not go to sleep if permanently installed. Other enhancements for this config will come later in the 1.1 development queue.
  • There is now a factory_reset option you can set via the python tool to force the device to a factory state.
  • Region settings are now stored in flash, so that we can soon move away from having different builds for different regions.
  • Add support for the prototype TTGO eink device

Full list of changes here: https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-device/compare/1.1.0...1.1.1

You can download the bin files here: https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-device/releases/tag/1.1.1

2 Likes

Hi Tried 1.1.1 today on 4 tbeams v1.0, M8 and 2 tbeams v1.0 6M. App 1.1.02 on Huawei MediaPad running 7.0.

All six meshed quickly but took over one hour to get a gps fix. This is a noticeable different as they are positioned where the previous version gave a gps fix in a few minutes. Once the gps fix was done all six registered the direction and distance to the others. They have also lost the gps fix regularly - something I have not seen before.

I connected to them all via the app but only one is seen in mapbox. I have not been able to text them. One of them, on the device battery page, says Mode 2, all the rest say Mode 3.

1 Like

Tbeam v1.0, updated to 1.1.1, love the show frequency and rxSNR=9.5 in the serial logs!! When the rain stops Iā€™ll take it outside and check GPS.
GPS works!! General feeling, ok, maybe bit slower in screen info updates , seeing @0/0 a lot longer then Iā€™m used to, but after a few minutes I see @2/2. Also when only 1 node active at startup I no longer see the signal screen but I suspect that is done on purpose. Mode=0
And I just notice an attitude reading from GPS :slight_smile: that is agreeable accurate

The mode maps to the Lora radioā€™s configuration. Mode 0 is fast and short range. Mode 3 is slow and very long rangeā€¦

1 Like

@mc-hamster - thanks!

Can different modes be combined within a channel?! I suspect not tbh.

A channel is defined by a combination of a channel name and the radio configuration.

Said a different way ā€¦ given a radio configuration (mode), you can have multiple channels.

@feh123 Thanks for the GPS feedback, yeah I made a mistake that would affect initial locking. Iā€™ll fix.

3 Likes

1.1.2! Should be nice.

This build is for alpha testers only. It fixes a problem where GPS locking didnā€™t work well in the 1.1.1 release. Thank you for the reports on that problem.

Important note: Beginning with the 1.1.1 release, the GPS is put in ā€˜sleep modeā€™ most of the time. In this mode the GPS doesnā€™t even blink the RED LED on the TBEAM. Therefore you canā€™t assume ā€œif I donā€™t see that red led blinking I donā€™t have a GPS lockā€ - youā€™ll need to look at the screen. In normal operation youā€™ll only see that red led on during brief windows (every couple of minutes by default) where we power up the GPS, get a position and then put it back to sleep.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Questions about BLE and the app

@geeksville - mine are still finding and then losing the gps lock. The main difference is that they do find a location fix much faster but itā€™s not stable. Once lost the time to next fix is much longer. They all mesh quickly. One unit (the Mode 2 device) shows a different set of mesh data - it indicates last signal contact at 357265 hours ago. All the rest correctly say just a few minutes. Flashing LEDs - just two - red and blue LEDs behind the screen. The unit currently with a fix has the red LED on the RHS on all the time. For the rest there is more variation the LED can be off or flashing. Re battery I did notice quite a fast battery drain yesterday - around 10% in about one hour.

Version 1.1.1. Tbeam v 1.0
I noticed two issues overnight, looking into them atm.
1 - In the morning not able to reconnect with bluetooth, Tbeam seen as offline, waited an hour but no (auto) connect. Pressing the middle button made it appear but once it went into sleep/standby after a few it was offline again. Reboot and it is back connected untill it goes into sleep mode.
The battery use is impressive, only down 10% in 10ish hours.
2 - When the Tbeam lost GPS lock (took it inside) the screen would no longer switch off. Reboot fixed it.
Trying to replicate but no luck, maybe one off glitch?

Mode is part of the channel that is specified on the channel tab in the meshtastic app. All devices need show the same mode to be able to communicate with each other. I think the one that shows mode2 somehow got the channel changed.
One way to revert back to Default channel is to do a reinstall of the firmware on the device.

1 Like

@claesg thanks for the info. I have tried to bring the device to Mode 3 - it certainly does not share texts with the rest of my devices! But so far I have not been able to change the mode. I have connected to the device through the app (1.1.02) and I have set it to default G. I powered off/on and this did not change the mode. I tried re-flashing the firmware - no success either. It seems stuck in Mode 2! Am I missing something? Thanks.

@feh123 How may android devices are you using and how did you do when you tried to set it to default G?

@claesg I haved used two android devices to connect but I have abandoned one - my Sony phone as it was android 5.0. So for the last month I have only used my Huawei tablet running 7.0. So I connected to the Mode 2 device and on the channel page I pressed to lock icon and selected very long range and pressed enter. Does that make sense?

1 Like

@feh123 When you press the lock on the channel page a new encryption key is generated. You then give it a name. I think you may have created your own channel and named it ā€˜Default Gā€™ and it is using another encryption key. I canā€™t explain why it is still stuck on mode2.
The process on how to create a channel and share it between devices is described on this page

I think you need to
  1. connect the app to one of your mode3 devices
  2. push the share button on the channel page. Share the setting with yourself via mail.
  3. connect the app to the mode2 device
  4. click on the link in the mail that you share with yourself in step 2
  5. meshtastic app will open and join the channel.

I think this will work.